Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waughmeister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Scotland
I was excitedly looking at getting one of the new mini displayport > HDMI adapters for my 2009 iMac so I could connect it to my HDTV and not have to worry about a second cable for sound (my iMac is quite a distance from the tv so it's a hassle to have two cables...) but I was disappointed to note that none of the Macs currently sporting a mini displayport actually support audio out through it, even though the displayport standard allows for it.

Does anyone know if this is something that Apple could enable through a software update or is it prevented by the hardware configuration of the mini displayports currently in use? If it is something Apple cound enable through software, is it something that Apple would be likely to do?

My instinct is that they won't, especially seeing as the most seamless way to connect your Mac to your HDTV currently is via an Apple TV and they're unlikely to do anything that would harm potential sales...

Thoughts?

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Apple

I doubt Apple will do it but Monoprice is working on it.

Their device is a Mini-Displayport + USB audio >>>> to HDMI
6 feet long

My guess is that this will Mac compatible since Apple is the only company shipping products with Mini Display ports (besides the companies making adaptors.)

Estimated price is about $38.

It is NOT available yet

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
If they really come out with a device like that for that price, that would be outstanding. Most signal conversion systems cost upwards of $100.

waughmeister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Scotland
Cheers for the replies guys. The monoprice solution sounds very interesting. I'll be keeping an eye out for that when it comes out!

Geoffreak: I did search but couldn't find an answer to the specific question of whether it was a hardware or software issue that prevented Apple's mini displayports from outputting audio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.