Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jburrows500

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
Hells Kitchen NYC
I was wondering.. could one just buy an intel machine and buy OS X and have a mac without the Apple price? I am guessing NO is the answer, but wasnt sure. Thanks.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
The answer is no. Hackers have managed to run it unstably on PCs, but it is in violation of the OS X license.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I was wondering.. could one just buy an intel machine and buy OS X and have a mac without the Apple price? I am guessing NO is the answer, but wasnt sure. Thanks.
Yes you can. Folks have been able to do this.

However, just as WildCowboy stated you would be in violation of Apple's Mac OS X licensing agreement. Therefore you it would be illegal for you to do this.

jburrows500

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
Hells Kitchen NYC
So in effect, Apple not only makes the software, but also mandates it is run on one of their machines... I thought for some reason 5 or so years ago I read that Apple was open source thus allowing anyone to make an Apple machine.. must have got it wrong or something... I wish there was more selection on the hardware side.. if you want a machine that will run windows, you have 100 choices.. I walked out of Compusa this afternoon as I just felt it was too much of a compromise.. wanted the mini with a nice HD 22" monitor but didnt want the core duo only.. oh well...

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
Yes you can. Folks have been able to do this.

However, just as WildCowboy stated you would be in violation of Apple's Mac OS X licensing agreement. Therefore you it would be illegal for you to do this.
Well he said "and buy OS X" which wouldn't work. You'd have to illegally obtain a copy of OSX86, so no store-bought copy would work.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
A little over 10 years ago there were Mac Clones, they were competitive machines and were less money. But when Steve Jobs came back to Apple one of the first things he did was stop the clones.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
So in effect, Apple not only makes the software, but also mandates it is run on one of their machines... I thought for some reason 5 or so years ago I read that Apple was open source thus allowing anyone to make an Apple machine.. must have got it wrong or something... I wish there was more selection on the hardware side.. if you want a machine that will run windows, you have 100 choices.. I walked out of Compusa this afternoon as I just felt it was too much of a compromise.. wanted the mini with a nice HD 22" monitor but didnt want the core duo only.. oh well...

Apple remains committed to the Open Source development model. Major components of Mac OS X, including the UNIX-based core, are made available under Apple’s Open Source license, allowing developers and students to view source code, learn from it and submit suggestions and modifications. In addition, Apple uses software created by the Open Source community, such as the HTML rendering engine for Safari, and returns its enhancements to the community.

http://www.apple.com/opensource/

http://www.opensource.apple.com/apsl/

Did you look into the iMac line for your computer needs?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

You can use the non-GUI part of Mac OS X, called Darwin, on any machine and put KDE or GNOME or some other GUI on top of it, just as you can with BSD or Linux and you can do it for free.

jburrows500

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
Hells Kitchen NYC
A little over 10 years ago there were Mac Clones, they were competitive machines and were less money. But when Steve Jobs came back to Apple one of the first things he did was stop the clones.

I thought I remember those.. man that was 10 years ago... Glad I wasnt dreaming it anyways..

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
You can use the non-GUI part of Mac OS X, called Darwin, on any machine and put KDE or GNOME or some other GUI on top of it, just as you can with BSD or Linux and you can do it for free.
Can you really put Gnome on top of Darwin? What sort of package management does it use? I'm very interested. :)

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Unfortunately, Apple bore the brunt of the R&D costs which allowed the clone companies to undercut them in price and performance.

So what happened, rather than increase market share, for the most part, the existing market share was divided up among Apple and the clone makers.

This was obviously not good for Apple which is why the clones were cancelled.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
Unfortunately, Apple bore the brunt of the R&D costs which allowed the clone companies to undercut them in price and performance.

So what happened, rather than increase market share, for the most part, the existing market share was divided up among Apple and the clone makers.

This was obviously not good for Apple which is why the clones were cancelled.

They weren't cancelled per se. Apple just never got around to releasing System 7.7

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
They weren't cancelled per se. Apple just never got around to releasing System 7.7

Or it can be said that Apple stopped licensing further copies of their OS and ROMs for use by clone makers. And it didn't help the platform that Windows NT was also yanked.

The CHRP clones lived long past Apple and Microsoft refusing to grant them an OS, and eventually became white box Linux PPC machines.

With the current variations alive and well.

Sort of odd that the likely shot at expanding the PPC market was Amiga, but the G5 introduction and financial problems left the Amiga OS in the dust.

Before the G5 there were several PPC chipsets being made (besides the Apple ones), don't know how many are left today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.