Can OS X do this like XP Can?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GotPro, May 16, 2008.

1. GotPro macrumors 6502

Hey guys...

Need a bit of help. I like 90% of how OS X works better than XP, however there are a few customizable things I enjoy about XP better.

I'm wondering if I can do them with OS X somehow?

I'm pretty technically savvy, so I'm doubting there are... but boy would I love to be proved wrong :)

The big thing for me right now is that I HATE having to empty the trash.

In XP, I could set the recycle bin to immediately delete ANYTHING I put in it WITHOUT confirmation.

Can I do the same thing in OS X?

Thanks guys!

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Here's some hints. I don't know of a setting (even in MacPilot) that will do that, it's considered a safety net.

3. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

someone with more scripting knowledge would be able to tell you how to write an applescript to do this for you.
    you could then run the script as a cron job periodically (daily, hourly, etc)

would this be a good enough work around?

sorry i can't help further, but my applescript and unix knowledge is not as good as others around here (that could set this up in around 45 seconds :))

4. GotPro thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually basically did this in Tiger. Problem is, CRON is basically non existent in Leopard.

Thanks for the comment though!

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

did you try setting a folder action OR automator action in the trash folder?

6. bmms8 macrumors 68020

go to preferences for finder. then go to advanced, and unclick show warning before emptying trash, goodluck

7. Matek macrumors 6502a

That's not what he's asking about, if I understand correctly. He wants to find a way to directly delete any file he deletes without it going to the trash first. The feature you suggested would just let him empty the trash without the confirmation message, but the files would still go to the trash first.

8. GotPro thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes... I want to be able to drag, like in XP, a file to the trash can... and have it immediately be *DELETED* without sitting in the trash can and having to be emptied!

I KNOW it's there for a safety reason... but at least for me I prefer (esp. with time machine now) the way XP works. I haven't in 10 years EVER deleted a file I didn't mean to.

I simply like how quick and efficient XP handles that...

One quick drag to the trash and *poof* gone forever! :)

9. VoidBoi macrumors regular

Download Lingon and create a launchd to activate when files are added to the trash (/Users/username/.Trash/) to remove all files in that directory (rm -rf /Users/username/Trash/*).

Launchd is the recommended progression from cron.

10. GotPro thread starter macrumors 6502