Can OSX work with PC/Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Pantocrator, May 17, 2008.

1. Pantocrator macrumors member

I will not buy a MAC. Period. (I am planning on buying the 3g iphone, but that's different.)
    Now that i have that out of the way, I am curious about all the hype surrounding OSX. I know you can run OSX and Vista on a MAC using bootcamp, but can you run Vista and OSX on a PC (built from scratch) using bootcamp or a similar 3rd party application? I guess I am intrigued by the software as much as I am turned off by the hardware, so I am wondering what all the hype is about.

So- can I run bootcamp with Vista and OSX on a pc? Or is it a mac only program?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Then we have nothing to discuss. Stay in the iPod forums and don't cause trouble.

4. Pantocrator thread starter macrumors member

Not quite. I am interested in OSX, which should be discussed here. The running windows on mac forum is the opposite of what I need, so I should not go there.
    I added I will not buy a mac, because simply put, the first recommendation given to me will be to purchase a mac, which is not happening. And its not a hack necessarily. running windows on a mac isn't hacking, so the opposite should not be an issue either.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You will find everything you need at insanelymac.com, they are the experts.

As far as legalities go, Microsoft does not restrict you to the hardware that Windows runs on but Apple, via their license agreement, does. So its not an exactly opposite situation.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The whole "which is not happening" thing is what throws me. Why do you insist on remaining a conformist?

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

stop

Please do not feed the troll. They will only come back for more.

8. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Can OSX work with PC/Bootcamp?

In answer to your original question -

Yes, thanks - no problems :)

9. Pantocrator thread starter macrumors member

Obviously by conforming with what you would want me to do would make me an nonconformist. Oh wait...
    The PC is superior for my needs, at least insofar as hardware is concerned (gaming for one small example).
    Keep it on topic. It's not worth discussing, neither of us are going to convert or anything.

So it is against the EULA, but I can run bootcamp on PC hardware with OSX and Vista? That seems to be the gist of the conversation.

PS. I'm not a troll, thanks. I have a legitimate question. Just looking for answers.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah... but... most Hackintoshers just dual boot through the standard BIOS. Boot Camp's drivers would be useless, and on non-Apple hardware it'd be no different from any other partitioning software.

11. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Then if you want/need a PC don't bother posting in a Mac forum, duh!

You have already stated you are not going to buy a MAC (sic) so stop bothering people here, please.

12. nick9191 macrumors 68040

If you don't want to buy a mac and would rather illegally install OS X onto a PC, then you will receive no further help. If you want the better operating system you pay the premium.

I will add however, that since OS X is limited to a certain range of hardware, if you try to install it on a standard PC, it will run poorly due to lack of drivers.

13. The General macrumors 601

Boot camp does two things:

1. Partitions your drive to make space for Windows.
    2. Provides Windows drivers for Mac hardware.

Bootcamp is pointless unless you have a Macintosh. Apple's end use license agreement clearly states that you cannot run Mac OS X on anything other than an Apple computer. Thus, it is not allowed to be discussed here.

I don't know what your problem is, but starting your post with "I will not buy a MAC. Period." is not only insulting to everyone who could possibly help you, as this is a Mac related forum (notice the name of the website), but it is generally pointless and antagonizing.

What's the matter? Too cool for a Mac? Too smart to buy a pre-built? If you think you're so smart, just go use Google. ;)

14. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Boot Camp is just a GUI partitioning tool for the Mac. That's all.

Yes, you can run Mac OS X on any standard x86 setup. It requires a bit of work, but it will work, technically speaking. However, it does go against Apple's EULA. But if that doesn't bother you, go ahead and look into it. It's known as "osx86."

15. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Just buy a Mac, period.

If you really want to run Mac OS X illegally on a "generic" PC (read: ugly box, useful only as expandable gaming rig), you should know by now that asking that question on a Mac-enthusiast forum is asking for trouble.

What is so hard about Googling...? Every right question about this will direct you to many sites dedicated to running OS X on a PC.

One if the gr8est things about Apple's switch to Intel is the fact that Apple really now has 2 computers in one. A real Mac, and a gr8 Windows computer.
    Trying to do the opposite (running OS X on a PC, next to Windows) will get you frustrated. Sure, after hours of searching forums, browsing Usenet and patiently waiting for your "for-all" version of OS X to be downloaded through some public torrent tracker, you will get it running, only to find out that your grfx card is not supported (so no Core Image, no Core Animation etc.), and that the ethernet card is not working, and your Soundblaster X-fi doesn't work....
    Windows on Mac, OTOH.... ;)

16. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

PC Hardware is superior? LOL. I bet you were only looking at the iMacs which actually use laptop parts. Let me introduce you to the Mac Pro...

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&node=home/shop_mac/family/mac_pro&sf=wHF2F2PHCCCX72KDY

8 Core Processor.
    up to 32gb Ram
    great graphics cards
    + much more.

And if you say you would never spend that much for a computer, well, then you are just being ignorant. You get what you pay for. A $600 computer is not going to be great for gaming. You want the performace, you spend the money.

17. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

oh...and I bet you didn't know that the Macbook Pro was acutally rated the best notebook to run windows vista.... Shows who has superiority now.

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

19. Pantocrator thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help.
    I knew as soon as the thread began that no matter what I asked I was going to get flamed, so I decided that it wouldn't hurt to open the thread with that comment. I had hoped to quell the calls for me to switch, but that didn't work so well.
    Anyways, the superiority overall of one platform over another is subjective, so I didn't insult anybody by saying that their choice was not the one for me.
    Again, thanks for the help- I found a guide about the OSX x86 or whatever its called, and will probably give it a try.

20. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

You're welcome, but you are effectively saying you are going to violate Apple's EULA in a MacRumors-thread.... Not that I care personally, but you should remember that you will get disappointed by the not-so-good user experience of OS X on a generic PC, as it really is on a real Mac.

Like I said in my other post, not all your hardware will work, and Mac OS X is partly so good because it is made to run on specific hardware.

Just don't start yelling here if your ethernet card doesn't work in OS X.

But, have fun anyway. ;)