Can Parallels/VMWare run OS X inside OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brooker, Apr 20, 2007.

1. brooker macrumors regular

Hi all -

I need to know if there is a way to run virtualized OS X inside of OS X... It seems like it should be possible, since it just needs it own install partition or something...

has anyone tried this?

p.s. i tried to search for this, but had no luck. sorry if it has been addressed, a link to the proper thread will suffice.

2. vniow macrumors G4

Not the regular version but you can run one of the ones that are modified to run on generic PCs. Note that this is against the TOS but its possible...

3. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

but be careful, your system might become self aware and kill you.

4. brooker thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tips (and warnings!).

Basically, i want to set up a computer with Server, but need to do some day to day stuff on it, and figure isolating my usage to a VM would protect everything running on the server.

Sounds like there is potential there...

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

"Replicate a replicator?? I don't even think that's legal!"

6. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

No, you can't at the moment. Apple basically has told Parallels and VMWare that they do not want this. Parallels and VMWare CAN make it happen but they are bowing to Apple's wishes (demands) and not implementing it.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've just been reading the licence. The problem with running OS X on a generic PC is the "Apple-labelled computer" bit. Of course, that's not an issue when running on proper Apple hardware (like in this case).

The bit that's going to cause trouble in a VM is "This Licence allows you to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software", ie. you'll need a separate licensed copy in order to run in a VM.

You may argue that the "hacked" versions have been modified without permission, but surprisingly I don't see anything in the licence forbidding modification. It does say "you may not copy, modify or redistribute the Apple Boot ROM code or firmwire", but doesn't mention the OS itself.

Food for thought.

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Except you can't buy an Intel copy of Mac OS X, can you? The one on shelves is PowerPC.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That's a good point. I've never confirmed this, but I've heard that 10.4.7 comes as universal. However, I don't see why they'd do that because all Intel systems come with 10.4 anyway!

Tiger Server universal is available boxed, but I don't know what the licence is like for that one (plus it'd be overkill).

It'll be interesting to see what the Leopard licence is like.

10. Queso macrumors G4

Could you also run a third OSX by running VMWare inside the VMWare instance?

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Now you're just asking for trouble. :mad: I like it! :)

Seriously, though... MS recognizes that this sort of thing is a legitimate business need for developers. They even made VPC free for Windows developers, right?

I'm not saying Apple should allow this in an unfettered fashion, but, especially when Leopard comes out, being able to have multiple OS revision test-beds running in virtualized sandboxes on a developer's test bench is going to be very helpful for them.

Now that was just way too many buzzwords in one paragraph, non? Quel idiot!

12. justG macrumors member

justG

I wanted to do the same thing. I download/install/run once/uninstall loads of apps, and I wanted a sandbox where I could play with apps and then just shut down the VM without saving changes, and I wanted to be able to play in the sandbox without having to boot into it. Since I did this with various versions of Windows, I figured Parallels + OS X would be a perfect solution.

Ya. So I created my virtual machine, booted it from my OS X installation disc, and... there was an earth-shattering kaboom. I got the OS X equivalent of the BSOD, where a grey translucent mask covers the screen and OS X says thanks for playing, please try again.

I powered off/on, deleted the VM, and haven't tried it again.

13. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I have heard (read) rumors of OS X running under VMWare / Vista. If thats possible, I don't see why OS X under OS X would be any different.

Not much more detail than that, but it wasn't the Hackintosh version of the OS, as the OP was very clear on that point.

I may of come across the post in the comments section on Digg, so take it for what its worth, but I have heard similar rumblings around the net. This is despite the Apple rumblings to VMWare / Parallels.

I'm not sure Apple would be so upset if you were running multiple VM's under say an Octo Mac Pro to do QA or System Testing on an App... It may well be one of the new Leopard Options, as its so useful to so many shops.

Obviously, it isn't legal in the current "letter of the law"