Can PC's & Mac's See an Airport Disk?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ryanflucas, Feb 6, 2012.

1. ryanflucas macrumors regular

ryanflucas

I picked up one of those Cruzer Fit tiny 16GB usb drives. I'd like to use it as an Airport Disk, but if possible I'd like both my PC's and Mac's to be able to have read/write access to it. My Airport can see it, but I just can't access it yet. I'm assuming it has to do with formatting, it's currently Fat32. Is there an easy way to do this? If it helps, I also have a license of Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X installed on this system. Perhaps I can partition it?

Otherwise I'll just format it as Mac OS Extended and access it exclusively to my Mac. Being able to do both would be nice though.

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you setup the USB flash memory thumb drive in AirPort Utility > Manual setup > Disks to be shared?
    The file system is not important then, as the network protocol translates the file transfer, thus Macs and Windows PCs can write to it.

3. ryanflucas thread starter macrumors regular

ryanflucas

It's setup with file sharing and sharing disks over WAN enabled. It's passworded and the keychain has it saved. I just expected it to show up in finder, or in the Disk Utility. I haven't checked on the PC yet.

4. simsaladimbamba

It should show up on Finder under SHARED in the Sidebar, at least your AEBS should show up, from which you then can connect to the HDD.
    I don't know how it works from Windows though.

What Mac OS X version are you using?

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

You should format it as HFS+ The AEBS will handle how the two different OSes access it (SMB for Windows, AFP for Mac) so both will be able to access it.