Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gmcube

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
I just jailbroke my 3G today to 3.0 firmware, and for the most part everything's okay, but I did loose quite a bit, as stupid me hasn't synced in like, a month.

I'm kinda new to the whole back up thing, but I did copy the media folder, which should have everything I want back, right?

one thing I lost was my second camera roll that I used with the swap camera roll app. when I tried placing all the pics I had from the backup folder I made, they did work, but the thumbnails were nonexistent. it seems 3.0 moved the place where the thumbs were stored? I dunno. is there a way to get it to generate new thumbs to get it back to the way it was? I'm also open to other ideas too if not. I can always upload them all and re download them, but that would probably get tedious. I'd like to avid it if I can.

Next up, older sms. I tried replacing the new sms.db file with the old, but it didnt take, it just comes up blank when I check it on the phone, so I switched it back to the original 3.0 sms file.

Gmcube

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
actually, nevermind about the camera roll, I was able to easily put the thumbs in the new folder they were supposed to be and it works fine now.

but the sms would be still be be cool to fix if possible.

riodr

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2008
Can you go into detail what you did. I also copied the DCIM folder and DCIM_2 (for the second camera roll). In those folders were 999APPLE, 100APPLE, 101APPLE folders that each had .JPG, OR .PNG along with the corresponding .THM

So after upgrading to 3.0, I had the same problem as you, the new folders no longer had the .THM did you find out if Apple placed them in a new separate folder like you thought? Because when I copy the corresponding files (.JPG & .THM) into the folders, the picture shows up but not the thumbsnails, they just show up as black.

So did your thumbnails end up black too or are they correct now? If so, where did you place the .THM?

Thanks

Alex Austin

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2009
Similar issue and question. In my case, my iPhone is not jailbroken and the Camera Roll issue, though irritating, is not worth major efforts or risks. I am looking for advice on the best app or Mac desktop utility to find and fix the issue. Here's the story:

RE:*New pics don't show in Camera Roll
I have had the same or similar problem for the last two weeld (on my six-month-old iPhone 3G 16gig). Neither my*camera photos, or JPG images saved from the web, or iPhone screenshots I often (the home+top key routine) are showing up as thumbnails or full images in the Camers Roll.*

Until now I haven't been bent out of shape because (1) the iPhone's Camera Roll keeps a correct cumulative count of images, and (2) I've had no problem 'seeing' and transferring the images files from the Camera Roll to my MacBook and MacBook Pros using iPhoto '09 software.*But it's becoming annoying enough now for me to want it fixed. *

So what's the consensus? Buy PhoneView 2.2.2 software? Or some other iPhone app or desktop utility? *Perhaps thumb images are going to the wrong folder on the iPhone 3G? Or, should I do a complete iPhone backup, then clear the phone, and reinstall? Or do something else entirely? *

Let me add that my phone is on ATT (non-jailbroken), and that this issue only came up after I installed OS 3.0 a few weeks ago. Other than this little hitch, 3.0 has been really nice. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.