Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
To all you QTpro users out there...

I'm using my DV bridge to capture a bunch of small DV movies (~4 minutes in length). These movies will likely need to be trimmed around the edges... I've heard that QuickTime Pro is rather useful for these types of tasks. However I have a rather straightforward question (because Apple's site is rather vague about it): Is it possible to open/edit/save these DV files natively (i.e. without the import/export time-sink that iMovie has)? I know Apple touts that you can do this for MPEG-4 but I want to make sure that it can be done with DV as well before I go ahead and purchase.

Thanks!:)

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
To all you QTpro users out there...

I'm using my DV bridge to capture a bunch of small DV movies (~4 minutes in length). These movies will likely need to be trimmed around the edges... I've heard that QuickTime Pro is rather useful for these types of tasks. However I have a rather straightforward question (because Apple's site is rather vague about it): Is it possible to open/edit/save these DV files natively (i.e. without the import/export time-sink that iMovie has)? I know Apple touts that you can do this for MPEG-4 but I want to make sure that it can be done with DV as well before I go ahead and purchase.

Thanks!:)

BTW why cant you use iMovie for the job???

EDIT: OOPS. Sorry. Didnt read your question properly. I have QT Pro. And I can use DV natively. But AFAIK you`ll have to export the video to dv video as a seperate file to save it.

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Indeed iMovie does work, but when I have about fifteen separate 4 minute clips that I want to trim around the edges, the import/export time begins to add up (it takes ~30 secs to import a 4 minute clip and a minute or so to export). Plus working with iMovie means working with the Apple Intermediate Codec, which doesn't look all that good (and can be difficult to use when scene transitions only take a frame or two). I'd like to avoid these two minor (but present) annoyances if at all possible, so that's why I'm looking to see if QTpro can do the job better.

EDIT: oops... just saw your edit! :) Alright, so QTpro eliminates the import and AIC annoyances, though I'll still have to export. Thanks for the speedy reply!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.