Can Resolution be Upgraded w/o New Screen Tech

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mush10, May 3, 2016.

1. mush10 macrumors regular

Rumors seem to point a screen tech upgrade to amoled in 2017. I happen to like current screen tech but understand the benefits and need to change. That being said I am in the group of people who thinks resolution absolutely needs to improve. Particularly on the non-plus devices.

So, as the title states, could we see resolution jump on the 2016 versions utilizing the current screen technology?

Thanks in advance for the insight.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. mateo124 macrumors regular

I know it's just a phone and all, but I like the ability to open ebooks or college textbooks on my phone on occasion and really appreciate not having to constantly pan and zoom around said ebook. Resolution is your limiting factor here, not screen size and upping resolution is essential in making a better display. The resolution of the 6/6S was a deal-breaker for me, and was the main reason I went with the plus.

That being said, I don't think they'll up it this year if AMOLED is set to be released next year. AMOLED will be a breakthrough for iPhone, and would be the prime time for a higher resolution display.

4. mush10 thread starter macrumors regular

I am not looking to debate why it should or shouldn't. I feel the the screens are lagging behind enough to warrant an increase. You may feel the phone is fine as it is. Plenty of threads to argue that. I am curious if people could see them jumping one without the other.

I agree with mateo that it will most likely change with amoled, I am just hoping it may come sooner than 2017 if rumors are to be believed. This has not been upgraded since 2010.