can retrieve email but can't send?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iPryers, May 13, 2007.

1. iPryers macrumors newbie

I have recently changed my ISP from bt to orange, The connection has gone through fine and my mac is connected to my live box and it is rather fast, however in apple mail when i set up my .mac account i can recieve email but im unable to send emails out? could this be due to the isp or is there away i can send out emails through my isp's server rather that apples. At the mommet my outgoing server is set to 'mail.mac.com' with my name and password etc on port 25 :confused:

craig

2. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I think I'm right that Orange forces you to use it's mail servers on Port 25,I'll see if I can find a work around.

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't know if Orange is unique in this regard, but usually, when they block SMTP, they block both SSL and non-encrypted. Usually one must use the ISP's SMTP server. I think, in this case, that means you change your SMTP server in the settings to smtp.orange.net, port 25, authentication = NONE, SSL NOT checked, no user name or password entered.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Many ISP's will only allow you to send using their SMTP server. You just need to change your outgoing mail server settings to those of your ISP.

6. iPryers thread starter macrumors newbie

hey

thanks very much people, I have changed the outgoing settings to the settings directed in the thread and it now appears to be working, thanks fory much. :)