Can rMBP be actually repaired or they just replace?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tadziak, Sep 26, 2012.

1. tadziak macrumors regular

Hi,
    I was wondering, since the rMBP is considered to be completely "unfixable" machine, is there any option for Apple to actually repair it? I'm having some strange high pitched noise coming from the left top side of the body. Was wondering if a Genius can replace just a faulty part or my whole machine will need to be swapped...

And what are your experiences? Has anybody gotten his rMBP repaired (except for the screen replacements)?

2. leman macrumors 604

Depends on what you want to get repaired. Battery, power system, fans, speakers should be replaceable without problems. If CPU/GPU/RAM fails (highly unlikely) you will have to replace the entire mainboard.

3. tadziak thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, a lot. I think I might be having some issue with "power system" - maybe you can have a look at the sound that my Mac makes and try to suggest what can cause it?
    http://wikisend.com/download/438696/Memo.m4a

Thank you in advance!

4. leman macrumors 604

Sorry, but I am hardly qualified to do something like this. Although, as far as i know, high pitched indeed often indicates issues with the PSU (a failing capacitor or something like that). I recommend you bring it to Apple - they will know what to do.

5. tadziak thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I will try to bring it in, but I'm afraid that they will just either say that it's normal behaviour or would want to replace the whole machine, which I would not like (I got a Samsung screen)...

6. uhslax24 macrumors 6502

uhslax24

Chances are, they will do everything in their power to not have to swap out the machine. If they do, 9/10 times it's totally necessary.

7. tadziak thread starter macrumors regular

My problem is I'm currently in Germany and they have a different keyboard than US/International. So I can't get my machine swapped with a stock model anyway...

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I think they would only swap it entirely to save time.
    That stuff is still too expensive to just throw away the entire thing for one faulty part. Logicboard is a big one though as practically everything is on it.
    Doesn't take that long to switch it. Even the biggest noob of a techy should be able to do that in under an hour and one hour costs a lot less than the logicboard which is somewhere around a few hundred dollars.

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Apple will always avoid swapping entire machines, as they could then use the rest of the parts only for other repairs or to sell as a refurbished machine, which is not cost effective. There are still a fair number of replaceable parts in the MacBook Pro with Retina display, although certainly fewer than previous models.

jW

10. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

In all honesty, if it did require a machine swap, they could possibly swap your current keyboard for the one on the new machine.