Can rMBP be powered on without the battery in it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Good User, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Good User macrumors member

Good User

I have tested for iPhone and the answer for iPhone is negative, It can't be powered on by charger and without the battery in it. I wondered if rMBP is like iPhone or it could be powered on without battery. Haven't anyone tested?

2. simsaladimbamba

I don't know, but the pre-Retina models could as far as I remember.

Why would you remove the battery anyway? And what if something happens to the external power (connection being severed for example)?

Please don't tell us you wanna save some weight.

3. Good User thread starter macrumors member

Good User

NO :D, I only use it at home and I know after some time the battery explodes in slow motion and destroys this piece of art, I know it may take as long as 10 years for the battery to swell, but I want to keep it even longer, not for purpose of using, I know some day it will be very nostalgic to see the gadgets and computers of the past. :)

4. simsaladimbamba

Aha. Give it a try then.

All I can say is that my iBook and MacBook Pro lived for five years without doing what you describe.

But then again, Murphy's Law.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

MBPs will throttle without a battery installed as the battery charger supplied isn't capable of providing all the power it needs for full power. So it may boot up and run, but will likely throttle to 50% cpu power.

Don't agree with your logic, you seriously degrade the unit to avoid a problem that most people never get and is entirely avoidable (you could just replace the battery at 3yrs or an interval of your choosing). You also run the risk of causing other problems (disk corruption due to the higher risk of a power outage to the unit for example).

6. priitv8 macrumors 68040

And, as a bonus, when replacing the battery on a rMBP, you will get a new topcase as well, making your piece of art looking as good as new again!

7. benguild macrumors 6502a

That's actually a good point... the batteries are like superglued to the top case so I don't think you can get them out safely. In fact, I believe they strongly recommend against it for health and safety reasons.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Retina+Display+Mid+2012+Teardown/9462#s36209

8. ourmountain macrumors regular

So let me get this right.

You pulled the battery out of your iPhone to save it for future nostalgia, which in turn removed the ability to use said iPhone.

Now you want to do the same thing with your MacBook Pro?

What on earth compels you to sacrifice usability today for a pretty paperweight in a decade?

It's rare I make use of the censor here on MR, but that's just ****ing stupid.