Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arbitrage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
I have a late 2009 27" iMac that I want to use as an external display for my new RetinaMBP. Currently I use the iMac and a 2nd 24"Dell monitor. My ideal setup would be the RetinaMBP driving both the iMac through the Belkin MiniDisplayPort to MiniDisplayPort connector and the Dell maybe via the HDMI to HDMI connection.

Does anyone know if this is possible. I've found confirmation that the imac can be used in Target display mode even from a new Thunderbolt laptop using the the MDP-MDP cable and not using a TB cable but I wondered if I can also drive the Dell monitor via the HDMI port??

Thanks to anyone who knows or has tried this.

arbitrage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Woops, had a bit of a brain fart there as I forgot that I actually have 2 TB ports so can easily run the two displays off of them. Thanks for the info.

If I had a TB Raid storage hooked to one of the TB ports, the iMac to the other, would the HDMI port be able to run the 2nd display?

Septic

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2011
Obiously no one knows - but from a technical point of view that should be no problem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.