Can rMBP turn on without a battery installed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mark200789, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Mark200789 macrumors newbie

I had to remove a bad one from my machine and ditched it. Wanted to test the computer before getting a new one, but now it won't turn on. Is the machine dead or did Apple setup the machine to only work if the battery is plugged? Thanks!

2. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

I didn't have a rMBP but a cMBP and when I took out the battery and it did boot, but God it was so slow. Probably you can't do it in the retina because the battery is always there and not user replaceable...at no means

3. Mark200789 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, most Apple laptops I've ever used could run on the wall alone, though I never tested my 17" unibody. I'm afraid to spend $70 on a battery just to find out if the machine is working.

4. Jozone macrumors 6502

Wait you removed an rMBP battery? The one with all of the adhesives between the topcase and the battery?

Also, just to make sure, you didn't just put it in the trash right? Those things are super dangerous left exposed.

/edit: And to answer your original question - Yes this machine should run with the battery disconnected.

5. Mark200789 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I removed it with alcohol and a plastic paint trowel. Was pretty easy. I did puncture one cell slightly which is why I will not plug it back in to test. I have disposed of it properly, no worries.

6. Jozone macrumors 6502

Just out of curiosity, why did you remove it?

7. Mark200789 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bad tackpad. Only way to get at it. The battery was at 70% capacity so I was planning to replace it too.

8. Mark200789 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

My understanding is Apple will replace the entire Top Case, keyboard, trackpad and all when they replace the battery, wouldn't that have made more sense. The older Classic pre unibody Mac`s definitely boot up without a battery, as for the new Retina`s sorry never had reason to try.

I can only assume that you don't have easy access to an Apple Store or authorised reseller.

Q-6

10. Mark200789 thread starter macrumors newbie

Queen6, pro tip for the future. When someone goes to this kind of drastic measures assume the following:
    1. The machine is out of warranty.
    2. Apple's repairs are ridiculously expensive.

11. Mark200789, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015

Mark200789 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, Internet! I have an official answer! I was using a 60watt adapter (for my wife's Macbook Air). That's the one the machine wouldn't turn on with. When I realized I had an 85watt I tried that one and, yes, the machine turned on and booted to the OS just fine. Qap'la! I'll let you all know how the trackpad, replacement battery goes.

BTW, if you are out of warranty and need to get that battery out I say do it. It's a ten minute job. Just flood the spaces between the battery with alcohol, wait a minute, and start trowling. The only spot you need to worry about drying is under the speakers. The rest of the computer is dammed off from liquid by the middle support.

12. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

It`s like $200 - 250 US for the battery replacement, which I personally think is reasonable. I`m not getting at you just seemed more logical given the cost and the battery is now integral. As the Notebook`s only issue previously was the trackpad and now sans Battery it does not start it`s likely that`s how Apple designed it. You can always try to sources a battery pack from eBay or Taobao (if you have access) you will save $$$ in the short term. On Taobao a battery assembly for the 15" Retina is around 50US + post.

You have your answer

Q-6

13. Jozone macrumors 6502

How much do you anticipate paying for a replacement battery + trackpad? If you brought this to Apple, and only reported the issue as being a battery runtime problem it would have cost you $199 + TX for a brand new Topcase, Trackpad, and Battery.

This of course assumes that the trackpad did not stop working due to liquid damage.

Source: https://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=Macnotebooks

14. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

You can do it yourself for around $70 US plus postage, however this assumes you know where to source the battery & trackpad and have the ability to deal with the suppliers. Personally I just pass it to Apple as it would cost me far more in my time than any savings from DIY.

Q-6

15. Mark200789 thread starter macrumors newbie

The trackpad is only $35. The battery is $70 and it's OEM from China. I've bought batteries from them before and none have ever malfunctioned.If I hadn't puncture the battery with a screw driver toying with it before getting the plastic trowel it would have gone right back in fine making a trackpad only replacement only $35. Remember, I was planning to replace the battery anyway so I wasn't terribly gentle with it.

Queen6, you're opinion is noted for the third or fourth time. Do you work for Apple or something? I don't understand what this compulsion is to make me feel like I wasted my time. The machine works. The job was easy. I did something in 10 minutes that Apple has convinced you (and many techs) was impossible. Plus I saved a perfectly good piece of aluminum and a keyboard.You're like those guys from back in the day who swore up and down that the voltage in the CRT Mac Classics would kill you. They still say it even though it's been debunked over and over. Consider the unrepairable battery myth debunked. You're welcome.

16. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I`m not and I really don't care what you do with your, time money & Mac`s. It`s not worth my time, I would rather prefer to spend the time with my kid`s, as for Apple`s pricing frankly it`s irrelevant, and Apple recycles the parts, knock yourself out...

Q-6

17. Mark200789 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, you've spent a lot of time on this thread for someone who doesn't care. You could have been spending that time with your kids. LOL!

18. Queen6, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

A few lines over four post`s, your getting real amusing, do what you want man IDC...

Q-6