Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GP20

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
I don't like how my track-pad clicks. I've compared mine with a few other rMBP's. When I click it, instead of a solid sound, mine makes a crackling sound that kinda sound like a marble rolling.

Just wondering if it's possible to tighten or adjust the track-pad on the rMBP's. Thanks!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't believe so, but then I haven't taken it apart. Check out what ifixit.com has for a tear down and you can see how its secured.

N3ILA

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2013
Pleasant Prairie, WI.
I don't like how my track-pad clicks. I've compared mine with a few other rMBP's. When I click it, instead of a solid sound, mine makes a crackling sound that kinda sound like a marble rolling.

Just wondering if it's possible to tighten or adjust the track-pad on the rMBP's. Thanks!

Has that cracking sound been there from day 1? Maybe some of the adhesive used to secure the battery to the rmbps top case accidentally landed on the underside of the trackpad. Or the sound could be the trackpad which is glass scraping the aluminum. Both do to apples lack of quality control.

Whatever the reason for the sound the only way to fix it is to have the topcase of your rmbp replaced.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
I noticed this in mine but used the edge from a piece of paper and went around the edges to pull up any dirt. It fixed it for me, yours might have debris under the pad.

GP20

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Thanks for the replies. The crackling noise was always there since my rMBP was only manufactured about 1 month ago. When I first got the computer, I just didn't notice the noise as much because I used it in the office lot and there was more ambient noise around me. Since then I've started using the rMBP a lot at home during quiet late nights and the crackling sound has become very annoying and apparent. But of course if I take the rMBP out and use it in a cafe or in the office, I don't notice it again.

I do notice that when I actually put the rMBP in my lap or on a pillow or laptop bag, the trackpad clicks with a more solid sound / feedback. It's only when it's sitting on a desk or any hard surface that it crackles.

GP20

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Well, to try to describe the noise a little better.

When I click other rMBP's trackpads, it goes like:

- click trackpad *loud clach -> release trackpad *solid subtle thump

On my rMBP:

- click trackpad *loud clach -> release trackpad *just as loud clach with a bit of rattling / crackling feedback

The crackling sounds a bit like the marble rolling slightly inside a spray-can of paint.

Driving me crazy now.:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.