Can safely run two iMacs off one CyberPower 1500PFCLCD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kapalua12, Apr 9, 2013.

1. kapalua12 macrumors 6502

I hate to buy another UPS for the new computer but I will if it safeguards my new baby.

I'm running some 3 TB HDD's (LaCie) Thunderbolt externally powered and a Thunderbolt 1TB Lacie SSD Raid 0 Drive on the new iMac. Can't imagine the LaCie SSD requires much power.

Should I splurge on a second UPS to be safe and have more shut down time?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say you're better off getting a second UPS for your computer. Those UPS' are not really designed for multiple computers.

3. kapalua12 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Are you using the UPS to shutdown your computer? As far as I've seen, a UPS can only signal one computer to shutdown.

We use a separate UPS for every iMac (4 of them). I also use a UPS for our NAS and Time Capsules (just one for all of them).

/Jim

5. kapalua12 thread starter macrumors 6502

The new 2nd Cyberpower 1500 PFCLCD comes today. I will have 4 all together, for all my computers (except for the two Apple laptops).

My old CyberPower is still running strong after 3 years and the 2010 iMac will have been protected by it, as it has been since I purchased the 2010 iMac.

New iMac goes on the new (today) CyberPower 1500 PFCLCD. I even have a smaller CyberPower for my Time Capsule Call me paranoid. In my profession I know one has to be prepared for anything.

Jim, no I do not use the USB shut down feature. I'v had several brief power problems in the last 3 years, many brief brownouts and many "events" and the CyberPower has performed it's job flawlessly on all machines.

Should I use the UPS shutdown software since I sleep the iMac's much of the time when I'm at work, which is most of the time?

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I use all 3 modes that Apple provides in the UPS shutdown menu. I figured that this gives my computer 3 chances to shut down before the UPS runs out of battery.

From memory... I use 5 minutes after losing power + 50% battery remaining + 5 minutes battery remaining.

The reason for 3 attempts is that sometimes I find a program can block shutdown. Hence... I'll give the system all 3 attempts at my disposal.

There are things that the computer does even when unattended such as fetching email, performing scheduled tasks such as backups, etc. Personally... I do not put my computer into sleep (I just use a screensaver activated PW lock). I also generally switch to the login screen when I leave my computer. However, even when you sleep your computer, you may have "power nap" (or whatever it is called) enabled which will allow your machine to do maintenance functions.

I guess I would just rather have the thing shut down cleanly if possible if we lose power.

/Jim

7. kapalua12 thread starter macrumors 6502

Power nap mode sounds interesting. What does it do?

It would benefit an SSD as many SSD self maintenance functions work when the computer is logged off.