Can scan over network but can't print

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by moxcord, Mar 8, 2012.

1. moxcord macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have been trying to get 2 printer/scanners working over a network in Mac OS 10.6. The Brother MFC 9840 CDW WAS printing earlier today but now it will scan and nothing else. I am also attempting to add an HP LaserJet 3050 printer which is shared through a Windows XP computer on the same network. Yes I know this is NOT ideal since it isn't a network printer, but it has been working since I set it up months ago.

Recently was scanning and then everything stopped working, both printers wouldn't print and the scanner would say an error about locating the scanner.

I removed all the printers from the Print and Fax menu.

I was able to re-add the HP LaserJet by specifying
    Code:
    smb://username:password@IPAddress/ShareName
    and it would print

I was able to use the CD that came with the Brother MFC to install the Control Center and drivers for the networked printer and it was able to print. I do NOT however see the scan button in the Print and Fax System Preferences menu as I previously did. The control center allowed me to scan, but only from the glass. Presto PageManager 7 crashed each time I opened it, despite reinstalling.

I installed Presto PageManager 9 trial to see if that would prove a workaround to scanning multipage documents via the Mac however it seems that ever since that happened, the scanning is OK but now neither printer will print.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may have happened and a way to fix it? The Brother printer is wired but the laptop is wireless if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Did you reset your (wireless) router? Maybe the problem is in there.

3. moxcord thread starter macrumors newbie

there are other computers printing and scanning fine over the network and the wireless so I doubt that is it. Especially since I can scan fine just not print. It is definitely something I looked at however :)

4. moxcord thread starter macrumors newbie

Update:

It started working after another reboot. But now it is broken again. I've read a few forum posts that seem to indicate some known printing issues in 10.6 variants in the apple.com forums but so far nothing has helped.