Can see individual pixels on mid-'12 cMBP: common problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Drew84, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Drew84 macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a mid-2012 cMBP (std. res. glossy), and I'm rather unhappy with the screen, but haven't seen any discussions of similar concerns, leading me to believe it may just be par for the course.

At all times, but particularly more pronounced when scrolling or with any form of motion like videos or movies, I can see the individual pixels on the screen, like a faint mesh screen door over the screen. I've placed it side-by-side with my early 2008 MBP, and it's less buttery-smooth in all situations. With the old screen, I have to get my face pretty close to the screen to see the pixels, while the new one I can see them at any sort of normal viewing distance. As someone that stares at the screen for 8-12 hours a day for work, it's annoying to see this. I've showed it to other people (who don't use a computer near as often) and they can't see it at all.

In situations where an image is at full res and static (say, in Photoshop), I believe it's sharper than the '08, but with when scrolling or with websites with web-res images, it's less sharp and the screen door look ruins it.

A family member also has a mid-2012 model like this one and it exhibits the very same thing, albeit slightly more noticeable, in my opinion. With the same thing present in the two mid-2012's I've ever used, I'm led to believe it's not an isolated problem.

I'm curious if the panels on these are the exact same as those used on all previous Unibody models, or if they're a new design/manufacturer for this model year? It's obvious the older screen is better, but is it possible that my trained eye, having spent so much time at a screen, can see things that most normal people can't, thus its' never been brought up?

2. yousifabdullah macrumors regular

It sounds to me that you bought the wrong product. Let me explain:

The standard glossy screen on both the 13" and 15" MacBook Pro models has a low screen resolution with an average PPI (pixels per inch) of 115, so seeing the individual pixels at normal viewing distances with normal vision is pretty much expected. The high resolution options for the 15" model (glossy and antiglare) make for a better viewing experience with a PPI of 132. The higher the PPI (in other words the denser the pixels), the better the picture you see on the screen due to less pronounced individual pixels.

As you're comparing your current computer to one made in Early 2008, that also leads me to believe that you're comparing a glossy screen to an antiglare screen, which may make the effect, as you describe it, of a "faint mesh screen door" even more visible. The problem may not be a problem for everyone, as you have discovered yourself: "As someone that stares at the screen for 8-12 hours a day for work, it's annoying to see this. I've showed it to other people (who don't use a computer near as often) and they can't see it at all." I believe someone like you, who requires a sharp and clear image for tasks like Photoshop, would greatly benefit from a Retina display now that it's available in both 13" and 15" laptop sizes. A Retina display has a PPI so high that it is difficult even for people with 20/20 vision to discern the individual pixels. That, or the affordable high resolution antiglare option for the classic MacBook Pro 15" are your best bets.

Return your current computer if possible and buy one better suited to your tasks. Keep those eyes healthy, mate. :eek:

3. Drew84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Both of the machines that I've compared are glossy and both are 1440x900, although the new Unibody is much glossier than the early-'08 model. It would stand to reason, in my opinion, that there is a flaw in the design of the newer panels (or some of them anyway) or they're manufactured differently, because it's a lesser quality viewing experience. I did play with a standard 1440x900 glossy at the Apple store for some time and never noticed this, but on the two I've had a chance to use at home, the obvious existence of the pixels has been annoying, and perhaps eye strain-causing.

4. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

I still can't fathom why anyone buys cMBPs over MBAs. Higher DPI screens, SSD from the start and a form factor that's miles ahead.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The MacBook Pro is both faster and user-upgradeable. There is two big reasons to buy one over a MacBook Air.

6. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

True, having a desktop machine has made me forget that some use a laptop as their only machine.

I'd probably have to go pro if that were the case.

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Have you considered a retina model? Sounds like it would be perfect for you.

8. Drew84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. Gave it a shot, got an LG, returned it, and vowed not to purchase another. Aside from this little issue with the screen, I'm completely satisfied with the cMBP...moreso than the glued-together Retina. I need the screen space as this is my only machine, and weight and size are not of issue for my uses. I'm going to return this one and look into the high-res glossy, but I'm afraid the text size and the sheer number of hours I stare at a screen may be cause for concern.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

Let's see, where to start? Gobs more power, an actual GPU, optical drive, ethernet cable, upgradability, more ports?

Seeing as it's my main machine, an MBA simply does not cut it, period.

10. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

um.. what?

15cMBP cant be compared to either 13 air or classic as neither 13 have "gobs more power" or an "actual GPU"

rest of ur argument is just preference.

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

The post I quoted and responded to makes no mention that it is restricted to the 13 inchers.

If it does, please point it out to me. Need I remind you this thread was originally about a 15 inch machine?

12. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

refer to post number 9 where you addressed MBA to cMBP.

no sizes were stated. and the 13 air does a completely different machine then the 15pro.