Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
Hi,

I have a strange issue with my father's phone. It's an iPhone 15 Pro, running iOS 17.
His iCloud account is part of our family. He is sharing his location with me and my wife.
In Find My, on the People tab, his location is never shown. However, if I go to the Devices tab, lo and behold, his phone is listed there and its location is displayed correctly.

This happens both on my iPhone and on my Mac, and also on my wife's iPhone or iPad. Besides, both of us can see our kids' locations just fine. It's just my dad who's never found (though his device is). This means there must be something wrong with his phone. But I can't for the life of me figure out what. I have checked all the settings I could possibly think of, but to no avail.
His location services are turned on, location sharing is turned on. And indeed, as I said, I can see the location of his phone, it's just him as a person that's never found.

In the Location Sharing settings, on his phone, My Location is set to "This Device". Which actually is the only device he's got and the only one that's logged in to his iCloud account.

What am I missing? What else could I check?

Thank you.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I cannot remember which way round I did it, either on my iphone or my fathers iphone but to get mine to work I had to go into the iphone's dial function (green icon with phone symbol in it), select the persons name, scrolled down and selected share contact and share location. My fathers name then appeared in the People tab. But as I said I cannot remember if I had to do this on my iphone or on my fathers iphone.

Reactions: Vlad Soare

Imac Sam

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
Harrisonburg, Virginia
As "family share" you can see each other in the devices section, in case it gets stolen or lost. However as 'people' or a 'friend' the two of you have not shared as such. So he just needs to send you a share location request and as you to him.

Reactions: Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
Thanks, guys. I will try your suggestions.
Strangely, I didn't have to do any of those things for my kids. They just turned on the location sharing in their iCloud settings, and it worked like a charm right away.

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
If I open my dad's contact card on my phone, in the Contacts app, here's what I see when I scroll all the way down:

Tata.jpeg.png

I can share my location until the end of the day, or for one hour, or indefinitely. Marvellous.

However, if I open my contact card on my dad's phone, in his Contacts app, this option is completely missing. "Add to Emergency Contacts" is the last one in the list. :confused:
There must be something amiss with his phone, but I can't figure out what. All the settings look right to me.

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
Nope. Didn't work. Deleted my contact card, created a new one. No change.
In fact, the option is missing from his Contacts app for all contacts, not just for me.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
This sounds buggy. Maybe contact apple support?

I'm guessing some combination of turning off find my iphone and restarting phone then turn find my back on will be involved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.