Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dikrek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2011
Hi all,

I have a series 3 and I wasn't able to update to WatchOS 7 even after completely resetting the watch.

Edit for completion and to not confuse people: I thought it was series 3 but it is series 2 after all. Ignore this thread folks.

Thx

D

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If you are having trouble updating to watchOS 7, I’m not sure if you can update to watchOS 8, unless somehow watchOS update needs less than 2GB (NOT download size, but the size used for updating the software)

dikrek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2011
If you are having trouble updating to watchOS 7, I’m not sure if you can update to watchOS 8, unless somehow watchOS update needs less than 2GB (NOT download size, but the size used for updating the software)
Surely it can't just be me. I read that others can go to 7 if they erase the watch, I did that (it never had much to begin with) but it still won't allow the upgrade to 7.

So I'm asking if anyone has actually put 8 yet on a Series 3, perhaps it theoretically can be done but I'd like to know if anyone actually did it :)

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Surely it can't just be me. I read that others can go to 7 if they erase the watch, I did that (it never had much to begin with) but it still won't allow the upgrade to 7.

So I'm asking if anyone has actually put 8 yet on a Series 3, perhaps it theoretically can be done but I'd like to know if anyone actually did it :)
I got rid of my 16GB Apple Watch series 3 long time ago so couldn’t test. But I don’t save money on storage either, knowing micromanaging it or having things like difficult to upgrade happen is not ideal. Either way, Hope apple actually gives a bit of relieves on upgrade size so 8GB Watch could upgrade.

jdblas69

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Have you tried the steps mentioned in Apple's support document.
If you have Apple Watch Series 3, skip directly to the steps to unpair and update your Apple Watch.

I have not had any issues keeping my series 3 up to date. Fortunately mine is a cellular model and has double the memory of the gps model so I have not run into any issues relating to not enough space to update.

dikrek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2011
Have you tried the steps mentioned in Apple's support document.
If you have Apple Watch Series 3, skip directly to the steps to unpair and update your Apple Watch.

I have not had any issues keeping my series 3 up to date. Fortunately mine is a cellular model and has double the memory of the gps model so I have not run into any issues relating to not enough space to update.
Yeah that’s what I did (GPS model). I was never given the option to upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.