Can/should I try to exchange my iphone 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by .elle., Jun 21, 2009.

1. .elle. macrumors newbie

Yesterday I used my hardware upgrade with Rogers Wireless (Canada) to purchase a new iphone. The salesperson told me that within 15 days, as long as there was less than 30 minutes of talk time one the phone, I could return it. After opening it I noticed that there was a tiny scratch by the home button.. I am positive I didn't scratch it because I noticed it right when I took it out of the plastic as I was about to put on the screen protector. Thinking it was no big deal, I decided to just not worry about it but then today I noticed a dead pixel near the top right of the screen. I was going to ignore both of these flaws, but after charging my phone I realized that the maximum charge capacity is 93%.. when it reaches 93% the charge symbol turns into a plug and the phone doesn't charge anymore. Considering I am paying quite a bit for a brand new phone, I'd really like one with a working battery at least. If I take it in to the Rogers Wireless location where I got it, can I explain the defects and have them exchange my phone or will they just tell me to go to Apple? :( I really need to be able to use my phone and it would be nice if anybody has any insight into whether or not I could get this swapped in the store where I bought it.
    -Elle

2. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

<sigh> Here we go again.

Have you tried asking Rogers yet?

3. .elle. thread starter macrumors newbie

No I haven't as they are closed right now. I'm going by tomorrow on my lunch but if there is more than 1 or 2 people waiting at Rogers the wait time is usually over an hour so I may not be able to get there until Wednesday (when they are open late) if I can't do it on my lunch break. I just posted here to see if anybody has perhaps had any similar experience. I can't call the Rogers customer service number because I need to keep the talk time on my iphone under 30 minutes if I want to return it and every time I have ever called I have been put on hold for 20+ minutes. I have been googling and looking through FAQs for the last couple hours and haven't been able to find any answers so I was hoping somebody here might be able to help me out..

4. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Lol ask Rogers. Personally, I would for the dead pixle alone. Scratches are going to be there in a week anyways...but the pixle would drive me crazy

5. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Ok, fair enough. I'll bite.

The "you can return it if it has less than 30 minutes talk time" is probably the clause for if you don't want the iPhone at all. For a defect, you should be able to return it anytime within the 1 year warranty period. For a dead pixel, I would definitely return it.

Bryan

6. .elle. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. The salesperson who sold it to me told me that if it had any defects, it would have to be sent to apple, then I asked her if I could bring it back and exchange it within the 15 day period if it had any dead pixels and she said "yes you can return it for any reason". I am mostly worried because often I've had rogers employees promise me things and then not be able to do them when they look further into it. I'm taking it in tomorrow so I really hope I can get it exchanged :(

7. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I understand your concerns and worries. Just walk in confidently and politely tell then that you just purchased a defective unit and you need to have it replaced. You shouldn't have a problem. If you do, firmly, but politely, ask for a manager.

Best of luck -- I hope you get this resolved!
    Bryan

8. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

If you have an Apple Store near you, take it there. I wouldn't go through the carrier if I could avoid it.

9. .elle. thread starter macrumors newbie

No apple store anywhere near where I live :( I would have to send it to apple.