Can SIM cards be swapped between 2 iPhone 4's with different data plans?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sketchr, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

With there be any ramifications? Could I possibly lose my unlimited data plan on the one account?

The other account does not have unlimited data. Both iPhone's are in my name but not attached to a "family plan"

The motivation for the switch is between a black and a white phone. Would like to watch Netflix on the black phone w/unlimited data. Currently the white phone has the unlimited data.

2. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

The plans follows the SIM not the phone.

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

All account information (including what plan you have, your phone number, etc) is on the SIM card. The phone is just a shell to house it. :)

4. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

The simple answer is YES.

5. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

lol. That is a simple answer that doesn't really answer anything very well...

6. Sketchr thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I thought there may be some glitch with the IMEI number and that it's possible at&t would need to be called. I know the process was sensitive for some when updating iPad 1 to 2 and keeping the unlimited plan on those. I really don't want to lose the unlimited plan on the one phone account.

7. fkhan3, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

fkhan3 macrumors 6502

It works well without user intervention, thats the beauty of a GSM phone. Your unlimited data is tied to your SIM card, not your phone.

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you were on verizon, the answer would be different. You'd have to call and see if they'd allow the switch.