Can Siri leave voicemail messages?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by thekb, Oct 2, 2013.

1. thekb macrumors 6502a

I have an iPhone 5, running ios 7 and today I told Siri "Tell my mom that I read that book you've been after me to read".

My parents, NOT technologically inclined people, told me that they got a voicemail message on their el cheapo prepaid Trac Phone -- IN SIRI's VOICE -- telling them my message. I have never heard of this before. Is this even possible??

I was shocked and emailed them for clarification several times and they insist they got a voice recording from "my phone secretary". Are they losing it, or is this something Siri can do now?

On another note, I've found some other new things in Siri's repertoire: It asked me several times how I wanted her to pronounce my wife's name. It's never done that before and I can't get it to replicate. It said, how do you want me to pronounce her name and then gave several choices to pick from. Are they tinkering with new things?

But some things aren't working as well. I have said "call mom" many times and keep identifying which of my contacts I want her to remember, but she keeps forgetting.

2. odin macrumors member

You can tell Siri things like "That's not how you pronounce XXXX's name" at which point she will give you those options again.

If "mom" doesn't stick, try adding "Mom" in the nickname section of your Mom's contact card. That will force it to stick.

I just tried the "Tell xxxx blah blah blah." It tried to send a message. I know with some phones, if you text someone without texting, they can receive text to voice messages in their voicemail. I've used that a few times. When people call and I'm busy, I'll use the reply options from the phone. If they're on a land-line for instance, they get a text to voice message with my note.

3. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

Check your text messages to see if Siri texted them. Might be a text to voicemail service.

4. thekb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Appears as a normal text message on my side. I've sent them texts before and they were received. I guess txt to speech is possible -- do cheapo trac phones do that?

5. Shuri macrumors 6502

It must have happened on the carrier side; I know this happened some time ago, when I sent my parents a text message on their hardline phone. I guess that's what somehow happened; you texted them, their carrier could not send it, thus they voiced it and called your parents. My best guess is that they heard a computer generated voice and falsely recognized it as Siri.

6. thekb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Probably true. They wouldn't recognize Siri's voice.

Still, that would be an awesome feature to have Siri call someone and deliver a message for you. Your own pocket robocall!

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yup, most likely landline texting got involved in that somehow (perhaps if the phone number was ported or if it's seen as a landline phone by the carrier somehow): http://cellphones.about.com/od/frequentlyaskedquestions/qt/texttolandline.htm

8. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

This is the wrong place to post this. Please search Google for an exorcism forum.