Can Siri select and play music from S3 over LTE?

tcellguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2017
So far all attempts to select and play songs or artists from music locally stored on the watch have failed using Siri over LTE on the S3. Is this not a supported function? All other Siri requests seem to be working well.

riverfreak

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Bangkok
So far all attempts to select and play songs or artists from music locally stored on the watch have failed using Siri over LTE on the S3. Is this not a supported function? All other Siri requests seem to be working well.
Examples may be informative here. Does the query simply not work at all or does it start playing from a cloud source? Or does the Siri query itself fail — timing out,or no recommendation?

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I'm running WatchOS 4.1, and when I ask Siri to play something it works without issue. Of course, some things show up in the Radio app, some come from my Apple Music library. It has been fairly seamless from my usage. I ask for something and siri says "I'll tap you when I'm ready." Another thing that I've noticed on the S3 is that alerts from the Apple Watch finally play audibly in my AirPods, which my S2 had never done.

Reactions: matrix07

tcellguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2017
Examples may be informative here. Does the query simply not work at all or does it start playing from a cloud source? Or does the Siri query itself fail — timing out,or no recommendation?
It says something like “hmm. I’m having trouble playing [artist/song] right now”

tcellguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2017
I'm running WatchOS 4.1, and when I ask Siri to play something it works without issue. Of course, some things show up in the Radio app, some come from my Apple Music library. It has been fairly seamless from my usage. I ask for something and siri says "I'll tap you when I'm ready." Another thing that I've noticed on the S3 is that alerts from the Apple Watch finally play audibly in my AirPods, which my S2 had never done.
Ok thanks. I figured this might not work yet on 4.0.
[doublepost=1508571589][/doublepost]
I have had that issue, but only when my LTE signal was weak.
Interesting. I’ll have to try again then. I had 4 full dots of signal and all other things like maps searches, requests to open apps, timers, etc were working.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I will say this. . . WatchOS 4.1 seems to fly on the S3. It seems super fluid without any hesitation on the notifications or other menus. I don't remember my S2 ever running this well. Now if I could only delete ALL my messages on my watch @ once.
[doublepost=1508571768][/doublepost]
Ok thanks. I figured this might not work yet on 4.0.
[doublepost=1508571589][/doublepost]

Interesting. I’ll have to try again then. I had 4 full dots of signal and all other things like maps searches, requests to open apps, timers, etc were working.
You're right about that. The other night I went out without my phone, and found that the maps searching/directions worked perfectly. I was pleasantly surprised. Not to mention Siri talks back into the AirPods now, which is a nice touch that didn't exist on the S2 (for whatever reason).

Are there any other watch faces besides explorer that show the LTE strength? I've not found any in 4.1...

matrix07

macrumors 601
Jun 24, 2010
Are there any other watch faces besides explorer that show the LTE strength? I've not found any in 4.1...
Have a feeling LTE signal will be a complication you can put in any watch face in the future. Apple is just like this, they like to begin small.

tcellguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2017
I will say this. . . WatchOS 4.1 seems to fly on the S3. It seems super fluid without any hesitation on the notifications or other menus. I don't remember my S2 ever running this well. Now if I could only delete ALL my messages on my watch @ once.
[doublepost=1508571768][/doublepost]

You're right about that. The other night I went out without my phone, and found that the maps searching/directions worked perfectly. I was pleasantly surprised. Not to mention Siri talks back into the AirPods now, which is a nice touch that didn't exist on the S2 (for whatever reason).

I think explorer is the only one. However the LTE signal strength can aslo been seen in the control center swipe up.