Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cellularmitosis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2010
Hey all,

I've been curious about the possibility of usurping the built-in Software Update client to install custom updates of my own making (i.e., Bash 4.x, etc).

Today I started poking at Software Update and found that on Tiger and Leopard, it actually uses plain HTTP to download the update indexes, and even adheres to the system HTTP proxy settings, so it was easy to snoop on which URLs it was hitting.

However, upon examining one of the update files (a tar file), it includes a "signature" file, which is 512 hex characters, indicating a 2048-bit signature.

Has anyone ever tried feeding an unsigned update to Software Update? My guess is that it would be rejected.

I'm also guessing that a 2048-bit signature indicates the signing mechanism is too modern to crack.

Perhaps the easiest route would be to modify the Software Update binary to defeat the signature verification check?

Has anyone poked at this before?

doctor_dog

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2022
Hey all,

I've been curious about the possibility of usurping the built-in Software Update client to install custom updates of my own making (i.e., Bash 4.x, etc).
I like what you're driving at here, at least what I think you're driving at: a new, centralized repo for all manner of software updates, kind of like how dosdude1 does for his patchers (except native)? I love this idea. You mentioned key length, any idea what the signature hashing algorithm is? I'm not sure what would have been en vogue in 2009 to be honest, but probably not something easily exploitable, to your point. If we can figure out what is used though, then we might have a shot at cracking it, especially if we can get plain text versions of some updates (I've never looked at the update tar files, so I apologize if these are daft questions).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.