Can software updates allow the new 21.5" to output video in the future?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by maclook, Oct 21, 2009.

1. maclook macrumors 65816

That's a feature I've wanted for so long but I don't want to go premium by getting the 27". I hope it's just the software that is holding the 21.5" back

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

3. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

No, the 27" features a plain Displayport connector to enable video in, while the 21.5" only has a mini Displayport connector for video out.

4. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Do you mean to allow it video INput? I'm assuming so, as the 21 can OUTput via Mini DP ("Mini DisplayPort output port with support for DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI").
    As for input, I don't think it could be allowed via a software update because I would assume the hardware is different to allow in- and output, which the 21 probably does not have. I suppose it's possible that it could have said hardware and Apple has simply locked out the input mode, but I would consider that unlikely. I'm thinking that Apple is going to want to be using this as one of the selling points of the 27, and so probably will not allow it (in whatever manner it might implemented), sadly.

5. maclook thread starter macrumors 65816

yeah yeah i meant input video. that's a real shame that it is limited by the hardware. i just want my ps3 to plug into a nice 21.5" imac :(

6. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Apple might be surprised how people would be excited about such ideas.

Do note that it doesn't seem that easy to do on the 27-inch either though. The input right nows seems more like for macbooks to hook up.