Can somebody explain the Multitasking feature to me

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by CJisohsocool, Jun 25, 2010.

1. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

So I already sold my old iPhones and I really want to get the new ones but im not quite sure I like the whole multitasking feature, From what ive heard so far every app you open when you go to close it like you normally do, it's instead well minimized and put in the multitask bar. So as more and more apps support the new OS and feature am I gonna be having to click the home screen twice and get into the bar and close all the apps I open from now on? Cause that seems to be really stupid and very annoying lol. When I close an app I want it to close.

2. cleggster83 macrumors regular

cleggster83

see

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/multitasking.html

3. CJisohsocool thread starter macrumors 6502

4. bajillion macrumors newbie

Sounds exactly like what you're going to have to do from now on. I find the multitasking annoying as well especially since you now have to slide over to get to the iPod controls but I'll probably get used to them eventually and may even grow to like multitasking... or just wait until apple realizes people want options and give us a way of disabling multitasking.

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

The only thing I want to know is if keeping all those apps open drains memory or battery life more. If it doesn't haven't any significant adverse effects on those aspects then I'm good with just leaving stuff open for however long.

6. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

No. You're not. Just leave the multitask tray alone.

Only the currently used app is running.

Edit: Here's a screen shot of the currently running processes (from iStat) on my iPhone 4. I have 21 apps in my multitasking tray. The only non-Apple one listed is iStat.

Attached Files:

7. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I find leaving the apps in the tray does change a thing. Thing of it more as a fast app switcher. The only times you ever need to worry about closing an application is if you see the little icon in the top right saying your using GPS still as that eats battery.

So trapster for example needs to be closed when your done with it. Everything else just leave it alone. I haven't found any battery issues on my 3GS by doing this.

8. CJisohsocool thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok but what about when more apps get updated to 4.0 and supports multitasking. Then what im going to be doing this all day lol?

9. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

10. CJisohsocool thread starter macrumors 6502

11. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

This:

12. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

You don’t have to close anything. There’s nothing to close. Just keep using your phone as you always did, and think of the “task switcher” as a quick and easy way to flip around between a few apps without having to go to the home screen.

You’re overthinking this.

13. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

For the past 10 months people have been on here bitching and moaning about need multitasking, now its here you want to turn it off?

14. CJisohsocool thread starter macrumors 6502

Uh... Ive just started coming on here, I could care less about having multitasking, and I just wanna make sure it isnt eating up battery life while its in the tray.

15. synagence macrumors 6502a

The whole point about Apple's pseudo multi-tasking is that it doesn't matter if the App is parked in the task list ... its not using processor

Also consider that there are 2 things at play here....
    Fast-App Switching: Double-clicking home and selecting an app already run just reopens where you left off (assuming app has been made fast-app switch aware otherwise it just re-opens from scratch)... but while its in the tray its effectively shutdown.

This is a feature i've fallen in love with already ... can be in the middle of a race in Real Racing....get an sms pop-up, click on 'view' it switches into the sms app, i can read, reply and do whatever, then i double-click home, select Real Racing again and boom ... within 1/2 second i'm back to exactly the same spot in the game ... no relaunching or reloading ... its amazing in its efficiency

Ok ... 2nd is multi-tasking ...
    This is where Apple has given developers the chance to continue a very limited amount of functionality in the background while the rest of the app basically goes to sleep and relinquishes most of its running resources when quit...

Examples are background music (pandora etc) and background nav (tomtom/navigon directions)... this means that you get the perception of having your app running but all its doing is a single small task that uses much less of the device than the full app..

It might still be lacking a few bits and pieces but overall i think they've nailed it .... another example of not being first, but being (almost) right.

16. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I've already told you - look back at post #6 at my screen shot. The only non-Apple app actually running is the one in the foreground (Apple apps like MobileSafari etc have always been able to run in the background in earlier iPhones).

Apps that aren't running can't use CPU and hence can't affect battery life.

17. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Most GPS apps won't need to run 24/7 and will be designed as such. They will finish when they accomplish their task. However for some reason tapster doesn't time out.

So for the odd GPS app that keeps using GPS yes you will need to close it. I doubt many apps will end up like this.