Can somebody explain to me how Apple Music works with my current music library?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by vtbb, Jun 30, 2015.

1. vtbb macrumors newbie

I'm old-school in that I like all of my music stored and synced locally on my Macs and iDevices. I've got plenty of music purchased from iTunes...but the majority of my current library is my cd collection ripped with lossless encoding.

I'm intrigued by the ability of Apple Music to pick and choose (almost) any song from the Apple iTunes Library for streaming around my house and downloading for offline use. What I don't want to have happen is for my current collection stored on my devices to get moved off. Reading the Apple website it's not exactly clear how they sync stuff to iCloud and what is done with the original copies. At the end of the day, I want my lossless library locally stored and the ability to add Apple Music stuff to it without jumping through hoops to re-download, etc.

2. flur macrumors 68000

I haven't connected up my computer or other devices yet, but the music stored on my iphone did not get pushed off. I just selected to sync it to the cloud and it gave me the option to merge, and I took that.

The setup is actually pretty seamless - I can add music to My Music either with or without downloading it (though it took a little bit for me to figure out how to do that), and then it's just in there with all the stuff I've ripped from CDs and bought elsewhere (Amazon). The only issue I see is that I'm likely to eventually become confused about what I own and don't own.