Can somebody find a hole in this logic?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kfhasan, Dec 13, 2010.

1. kfhasan macrumors newbie

A lot of people were very critical of upgrading the baseband to 6.15 on the 3g and 3gs.. however, in my situation im pretty sure that it's the perfect solution to my unlocking and jailbreaking needs..

I don't rely on Apple warranty so don't have the fear of losing warranty. If I upgrade to 6.15, I'll have to use a custom firmware every time I upgrade. But since there are no unlock able firmwares past 5.13, I'll have to use a custom firmware anyways to preserve base band.

If I end up upgrading accidentally through itunes, the baseband upgrade won't go through because I'll be on 6.15.. I'll get thrown into recovery or whatever, or I could always revert to an older firmware with saved blobs.

So by upgrading my 3gs to 6.15 (currently on 5.13), and saving blobs for 4.02, I'll ensure that my phone will ALWAYS remain jailbreakable and unlockable.

Thoughts?

2. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

It would be better if you upgrade to 4.2.1 (old bootrom) or 4.1 (new bootrom) using a custom firmware keeping your current 5.13 baseband. The iPad 6.1.5 baseband seems to cause GPS problems.

3. kfhasan thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree that's a risk, but I feel that it might be worth it to upgrade to 6.15 and be unlockable for life. Unless I'm misunderstanding something and I actually won't be unlockable for life...

4. NathanA macrumors 6502a

It seems to me like it's rather a bit early for anybody to know for sure what the long-term consequences are of running the iPad baseband firmware on the iPhone. It sounds like the GPS problem hasn't been quite figured out yet, and who knows what other obstacles might arise in the future out of either accidental or intentional incompatibility walls that Apple might decide to hide in future versions of iOS. Since you won't be able to change the baseband after you flash up to 06.15, it seems to me that it would be rather easy for Apple to "target" devices running this firmware version.

If it were me in your position, and baseband was downgradeable, I'd be more than willing to take the risk and then back out later if I ran into trouble. But because you'd be STUCK for life on 06.15 once you go to it, if you already have an unlockable baseband as it is in 05.13 -- which was written specifically for your phone model by Apple to begin with, instead of a different device -- it seems kind of pointless to install the iPad firmware.

Now, if you had already lost your unlockable baseband firmware and you needed the unlock, then yeah, go for it. That, I think, was the group of people that the Dev-Team were aiming at helping when they realized the iPad baseband firmware "works" on the iPhone 3G/3GS: those who have no other option.

But you do have another option: sticking with your iPhone-native, still-ultrasn0wable 05.13 firmware.

-- Nathan

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

But if you've got an unlockable baseband, then you're already unlockable for life with custom firmware bundles, no?