Can somebody help me out here.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tktaylor1, Aug 19, 2011.

1. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

This is a car situation. Nothing bad.

I have an Audi A4. Okay, say I am stopped at a light and I take off, my car accelerates really slow until it hits about 1800 rpm and then it shoots off really fast until about 2300 rpm. Does anybody know what this could be? My dad who is really good with cars said it is a stall converter but he wasn't sure. If it is indeed a stall converter does it come stock on this model car? Also how can I remove it because it is annoying? Thanks

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Has it been happening since you bought the car, or is it a new occurrence?

3. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I know next to nothing about cars, but isn't that what happens when you need a new air filter?

4. tktaylor1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

Since I got it.

I know absolutely nothing about cars except how to change brakes and tires. So I have no clue either. My dad is right on almost everything but he doesn't know anything about foreign cars (I am in America) so he was not sure. But I don't know anything either.

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Well, if it's been happening since you got it, then it shouldn't be a problem right?

More like a modification that you want to do?

6. tktaylor1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I want it off. And I was wondering if they come stock on A4's. If so, why? It's stupid.

7. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

If it is the stall converter aka Torque Converter, that is a major component inside the transmission and you can't take it "out". If you have the cash you can modify the transmission with a performance valve body that will give your car more responsiveness off the line.

8. tktaylor1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

So I assume it's stock. Why would they put this on their cars

9. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

Almost every production Automatic Transmission regardless of make employs a stall converter. It serves the same function of a clutch in a manual. It reduces the shock of applying torque from the engine to the transmission.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_converter

10. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

You could take it to a mechanic. (Does not sound normal - car should accelerate smoothly if functioning normally)

And before I get told all shops will try to rip you off - no, not all mechanics tell you something is wrong when it's not. ;)

11. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

I'll need to have a lot more information to help you out.

What engine does the car have (i.e. 2.0T, 2.0L, 1.8T, 2.8L). What year is the vehicle? How many miles does it have? Any recent mechanical changes? Any noises while it's accelerating?

12. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Is it a turbo? TDI? Sounds like your tubo is spooling up, if you have one.

Every vehicle with a automatic transmission has a stall converter. All a stall converter does it lets the engine get up to a certain RPM before it will move the wheels. That is about as simple of a explanation as I can think of. They make stalls of 1000rpm all they way up to 5000 for sled pulling gas engines. Listen to the turbo spool up on that diesle, and notice how slowly he takes off even though the engine is probably running at 2300-2500 RPMS.

13. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Given that it is a 4 banger I would assume this is due to the low horsepower and torque of small engines at low RPM's. They don't really have much power until you get the RPM's up. While large engines hit their peak horsepower and torque at much lower RPM's.

Now looking up the Audi A4's power curve. It seems that it does hit peak torque at low RPM's. However, at 1,800 RPM it's only generating about 1/3 of peak horsepower. At 3,000 RPM it is at about 2/3 horsepower and does not peak until 5,100 RPM. This is the 2.0 liter engine.

So if you want to start off quickly you will have to rev the engine then release the brakes. It would be easier if you had a stick shift as you could rev it up then drop the clutch. Note both ways are great for shortening the life of your transmission and getting a reckless driving too.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I blame the computer ...... because I always do.

Still, you might need an update of the software. Mine had intermittent misfires that was fixed with an update, but only after I bitched about it. ;)

Oh, I have a KIA, but the concept is still the same.

15. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

Is it a 2.0T (turbo)? If so, is it your turbo spooling up before it can generate enough boost to get your horsies moving? It sounds like this is what it could be. At low RPM's, turbos don't generate much boost, they need the RPM of the engine to be high (well, actually they need exhaust gas to be flowing, but you know) before they can generate real boost. Once they do start generating boost, it comes on like a surge in power, and is very noticeable. Is that's what's happening?

16. tktaylor1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

It's a 3.0 and no turbo

----------

Pretty much, yea.