Can somebody just explain my options on ATT - let's assume the current phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nostresshere, Aug 13, 2014.

1. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Today I have 4 Iphones on the 10gb data plan. Cost is $160 per month.

Three phones are past the two year contract date.

I went to ATT and did upgrade and got this:

Buy It : $750
    Next for 20 Months: $ 37.50 or $750 total
    Next for 24 Months : $31.25 or $750 total
    Contract : $300

Assuming I have no problem sticking with ATT or contracts, what other charges will I have.

AGAIN - I have no problem with a contract. I am not switching carriers.

2. na1577 macrumors 6502a

I don't understand. Are you asking a question?

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, you need to factor in monthly fee differences for different options--like the contract option not having a monthly discount at all, for example. Also, potential upgrade fees that might be involved--like in particular with the contract option.

Also potential tax differences--some states make you pay the tax on the full price of the phone with various options, others don't, etc.

So at least on the surface the contract option is $300, plus $25/month more for each month of the 24 month contract, which is $600, plus potentially a $40 upgrade fee, making the total that is over $900 (not counting potential tax differences, if any).

4. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

With NEXT does one get to keep their device after upgrading?

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

You mean if you are on NEXT and want to upgrade? If you pay off your device, then you get to keep it when you upgrade, otherwise you have to return it.

6. nostresshere, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014

nostresshere thread starter macrumors 68030

UPDATED:

Buy It : $750
    Next for 20 Months: $ 37.50 or $750 total
    Next for 24 Months : $31.25 or $750 total
    Contract : $300 (edit to add $25 a month or $600) - total $900

So, leaving taxes aside for a minute and maybe a $40 activation fee it looks like a contract is the least favorable. The next plan is sort of a contract, but as I said before I could care less about a contract as I am not switching carriers anytime soon.

Why would next not be better than just buying it?

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's basically a difference of paying it all up front and paying lower monthly fees or financing it (at 0% essentially) over a period of a little less than 2 years paying higher monthly fees to account for the financing (and you can pay it all off anytime if you wish).

8. nostresshere thread starter macrumors 68030

If I do NEXT, will my monthly plan change ($160 for 10gb over 4 lines).

9. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

No your plan will stay the same, you will just see the installment on the bill as well. 20month or 24 month installments

10. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Next iPhones are still locked to AT&T. If you buy outright at Apple Store (any version except Sprint), the phone will be factory unlocked which would be useful for, say, international travel. Otherwise, the cost is pretty much the same either way.

Personally going with Next this year (to get off contract on a couple of 5s lines). Since any international travel will be planned at least half a year in advance, I can always pay off the remainder of the balance 2-3 months before said travel to get it unlocked ahead of time.