Can somebody name this playing-card game for me?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MrCheeto, Jul 31, 2010.

1. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I've only ever encountered this game in México with my family and extended family, but maybe it's more common than I thought, I just can't find the name.

The idea is to empty your hand. You start with a hand of 7.

Each person takes a turn flipping a card from the draw deck. If they want the card, they place it in their hand at the penalty of having another card in their hand. If they don't want the card, they place it in the discard and the next player can pick it up if he likes and then discard one from his hand. If he doesn't want the discarded card, he draws from the draw deck as normal.

To empty your hand, you have to make piles of 3 cards that stay in your own discard pile, but don't count as your hand. You must have 3 cards in sequence and of the same suit.
    For instance, Ace spades, Two spades, and a Three spades, or a King heart, Queen Heart, Jack Heart, Five clubs, Six clubs, Seven clubs, you get the idea.

After you've dropped a 3-card sequence, you can discard a single card from your hand. Considering your hand starts at 7, two piles and a discarded card means an empty hand.

Ever heard of something like this? It just seems very uncommon, but I prefer it to poker or any other playing-card games I can think of, though not Pokémon.

But seriously...?

2. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

3. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Oh thanks sooo much! It's clearly some poor variation of Gin, haha.

Ize happy, furshur.

4. Roric macrumors regular

Can you place cards that are in sequence with your opponent?

There is a version of this game I used to play with my grandma years ago. The idea was to empty your hand. When one player was out, you added up the points still in your hand (all cards were face value except royalty were 10 and queen of spades was 40) and the cards you had discarded. The points in hand counted against you and the points discarded counted for you. The first to reach 500 points or so won.

I think we called it "Rummy 500" or something. Games used to last a couple hours. Not much else to do at their cabin in the middle of the woods at night.