Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deanops

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
ok without power on, put your right forearm against the small screws on the right side of your macbook... big deal right...?

now, take your arm off, and plug the power in.. now do the same as above... do you feel a small electric current? it is bloddy annoying (i have a may macbook white)... i hope this is not a power afult...

please try it and report back

ScottDrummer

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Canada
nope i dont get it, althought i have noticed some tingling on the trackpad occasionally. try wearing trainers.
its prolly static

ScottDrummer

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Canada
no i was using my girlfriends powerbook, im still waiting for my mbp to be delivered. should reflect that in my sig really.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Happens because the Powerbook and MacBook Pro's case are aluminium, therefore capable of possessing a static charge.

I find that I get a static shock if I don't use the extended cable with the power brick - since the extended cable has an earth wire.

Well, it does in the UK - we think about safety with our plugs you see :p

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
Hmm, my power brick uses the 3-pin plug thingy but I still get shocks while using my MBP. Its most noticeable on top of the keyboard that small strip of an area right in front of the wireless antennae. Whenever I run my fingers lightly along it you can feel as if there's some friction/resistance from it (hard to explain). Is it inherent to all MBP's?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Hmm, my power brick uses the 3-pin plug thingy but I still get shocks while using my MBP. Its most noticeable on top of the keyboard that small strip of an area right in front of the wireless antennae. Whenever I run my fingers lightly along it you can feel as if there's some friction/resistance from it (hard to explain). Is it inherent to all MBP's?

Although its using a 3 pin - the earth pin isn't actually connected to the power brick.

Examine the 3 pin plug that connects to the brick - you'll see why.

krazy karl

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2007
I have this problem on my MBP. I notice it the most when i am in my basement which has a cement floor. If I pick my feet (bare) off the ground it stops. Must be some sort of electric current.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I think I have a last May (2006) MacBook and I'm not getting anything.

It is a weird feeling though. I would get that when messing around the back of my PC. The only thing going through my mind was if all this electricity was messing up my computer with over $1k worth of stuff inside.

I'd call up Apple and ask them about it.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Although its using a 3 pin - the earth pin isn't actually connected to the power brick.

Examine the 3 pin plug that connects to the brick - you'll see why.

There are hidden metal contacts on the 3-prong connector which mate with the large metal pin on the power brick. That's where the earth connection is. Look closely and you'll see it.

windupbird525

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
Yes!!! I've had the same electric shock problem when I touch the screw on the left hand side of the trackpad!!
It freaked me out the first time, I thought there was an electric leak, but I've just learned to live with it.... really quite annoying though, especially when you're holding the MB on your lap. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.