Can somebody shed some light onto this carrier switch situation?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by awesomest47, May 27, 2013.

1. awesomest47 macrumors member

paid full price for an iPhone 4S on AT&T about a year ago. Then I moved to a basic phone on Sprint. have lost the basic phone and would like to find a way to use the iPhone on Sprint (I was getting sick of the basic phone anyways) without renewing my contract (just agreeing to pay the extra $10 a month.) Well, apparently the iPhones aren't compatible and Sprint won't give me enough money. Where can I go trade my AT&T iPhone for a Sprint one? This shouldn't be so hard!! really don't want to meet anyone on craigslist and I have had bad experiences with eay. Any suggestions? Are there any websites or stores that specialize in this? Thank you!

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

3. frito1224 macrumors regular

You can use it on sprint if you unlock it but you will have to jailbreak it to do it dont know much more about it but it can be done the problem is sprint probably won't activate it because the imei is not theirs

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

That's completely wrong. An AT&T iPhone cannot be used on Sprint.

5. frito1224 macrumors regular

No you could do it but you might not have all the features like sms but sprint wont let you anyway because its not their imei

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

Whoops, forgot the 4s was the only "world" iPhone, where all models had CDMA + GSM.

7. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

In what universe can a AT&T iphone be used on Sprint? AT&T is GSM, Sprint is CDMA, thus you have a dilema there.

What you're think is using Sprint iphone with AT&T. Which still is possible but only with a Turbo sim.

8. frito1224 macrumors regular

Yea your right sorry

9. aristobrat macrumors G5

That's what I thought, but from Apple's iPhone tech spec pages:

iPhone 4 shows separate models for GSM and CDMA.
    iPhone 4S shows one model that does both GSM and CDMA.
    iPhone 5 shows separate models for GSM and CDMA.

:confused:

10. awesomest47 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help everyone. The reason iPhone 5 isn't a world phone is because Apple didn't want to add another antenna when they already had the LTE one. I swear there was a jailbreak that let you switch between the two antennas on the iPhone 4S. What if I put a Sprint SIM card in? Could I use service that way? I really don't want to break down and by a new iPhone...

11. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

It won't work. Sell it and buy a sprint version.

12. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Yea, thats the United States telecom industry for ya.

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's not that hard. Your circumstances and preferences are what make it hard. You can certainly pay full price for a new device without a contract. There are countless options for selling and/or trading in your old device but you're ruling out a couple of the more popular ones.

14. awesomest47 thread starter macrumors member

New problem..

I sent my iPhone to Amazon via UPS. When the UPS driver was passing my house I flagged him down and gave him my package. Well, he chucked it into the back of his truck and when I gave it to him I could feel the one layer of bubble wrap I included with the phone lose and sliding around. I am so scared now!! I have a bad feeling it's going to be broke by the time Amazon gets it.. Any comforting advice? Thanks!