Can someone analyze this kernel panic for me?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Warbrain, May 6, 2008.

1. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I've had a series of kernel panics over the past few days, many of which had happened so fast the computer couldn't even log the panic. Today I finally had one that could log it. Any idea what this could be? I've read that it might be memory so I took out my 1GB stick and everything is running fine but we'll see if something comes up. But please, take a look and let me know.

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

What were you doing at the time? Did you install anything recently (such as drivers)? What happened before the first time this happened? Have you tried repairing your disk?

I doubt it is any peripheral itself but rather a driver. You have any HP drivers installed for instance?

3. Warbrain thread starter macrumors 603

Warbrain

I was web browsing. Nothing outside of Leopard drivers are new because I did a complete wipe last night to see if that would take care of the problem. I suspect it's not drivers in this case.

I removed my RAM and then put it back in, making sure that it was seated property and tight. So far everything has been fine and fast. It's entirely possible that the RAM was slightly out of the socket and was causing errors. But I still want a better idea of what the panic log says...

4. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

I'm not claiming to know much about kernel panics, but like you said, it looks like a memory error. I'd run a memory test just to see the results.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes i agree, try the OSX disk (has some hardware utilities on there i think)

or use disk warrior.

6. Warbrain thread starter macrumors 603

Warbrain

I ran the hardware test and it confirmed what I suspected was the problem: the 1 GB stick from Kingston. I started the hardware test and it locked up during memory so I figured I would remove the RAM that I could and see if it worked all the way through - it did. So I dug out a 512 MB stick from an IBM sitting in my house and put it in to see if it would pass - it did. So it appears that the 1 GB stick is bad in way and needs to be replaced.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yet another lesson on the most frequent source of kernel panics and the value of OSX reinstalls in solving them. File and remember!

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

aahh good to hear. take it back!!!

9. Warbrain thread starter macrumors 603

Warbrain

No, it couldn't be as simple as the 3rd party memory...

It's the onboard memory. This is something that's not easily fixable.

Looks like I'll be pondering my options.

Thanks for all the help, though.