Can someone answer a couple of qustions for me?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by I Need a Drink, Mar 5, 2018.

1. I Need a Drink macrumors regular

I'm thinking about getting a Series 3 with LTE. I have a couple of questions about notifications though. I would like to keep the watch in silent mode so that it only taps me when I have a notification. Someone told me that when you are wearing the watch with wrist detection on, all the notifications come to the watch not the iPhone when the iPhone is locked. For example if my phone is in the Kitchen on the charger, and a call comes in, my phone will not ring and watch would tap me (or ring if the sound is on) and the phone would remain silent. Same thing for texts or emails. Reading the support document on Apple's website leads me to believe that this is the way this works. Is that correct?

If that is indeed the case, what would happen with continuity calls. Would my iPad or Mac still ring on an incoming call or does that not work as long as I'm wearing the watch?

I don't know if I misunderstood what I heard. I would like to be able to get notifications on all devices when a message or call comes in, but I don't want to have to put in a passcode on the watch every time I try to use it as a result of turning off wrist detection. Thanks for any help.

2. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

3. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

That is the way it works.
    Your Mac and iPad would still ring.

4. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68020

works as described. Just a little bit ago, I received a call while my phone was charging. My laptop starting ringing, my watch started vibrating and my phone lit up. I always have my phone on silent and watch on vibrate.

5. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Never noticed the phone not ringing while on the charger

6. I Need a Drink thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have a watch, obviously, but I just used the example of a charger. That's what I was trying to find out. If what I understand is correct, and from the responses in this thread it looks like it is, the phone could be in your pocket, but as long as it is locked the ring will come from the watch not the phone.

If that is indeed the case, is there any idea if this is something that Apple is going to change in a future update? I don't like the idea that I can't have my phone ring if I am wearing a watch.

7. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

My phone always rings, regardless of whether I have my watch on or not. I have to turn off the ringer on the phone to make it silent.

8. razmonster macrumors regular

razmonster

same here. both my watch and phone ring together and get texts together as well. I've been thinking about turning one of them off

9. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

The call hits the phone first. There is a slight delay before the watch starts ringing/vibrating.