Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michelle21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
We are working on an app we call imageShare, its something like twitter but with images . We make extensive use of server push technology, specifically comet-d.

Now that the iphone 3gs supports video we are considering adding video support.

For images we upload them form the phone and dynamically store them in the session. This is fine for images. But we don't want to upload video. So the thought occurred to me, why not do point to point. We could open a server port from each connnected iphone and stream the video from the phone to a central site, essentially each phone is a server.

Trouble is, there is some really muddy stuff in the TOC about serving files from the phone over 3g. Does anyone understand that , would the point to point http streaming I'm referring to violate the TOC, guarantee a rejection for 3g use from the app store (like slingmedia) and force the app to be restricted to wi-fi.

jnic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Cambridge
Transferring video over the cellular network will get you rejected for using excessive bandwidth:

If an Application requires or will have access to the cellular network, then additionally such Application must not in Apple's reasonable judgment excessively use or unduly burden network capacity or bandwidth.

See iPhone SDK Agreement section 3.3.15.

michelle21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Transferring video over the cellular network will get you rejected for using excessive bandwidth:

See iPhone SDK Agreement section 3.3.15.

Do you know that as a fact, there are other video applications availlable in the app store. Hulu for instance. A compressed h264 video stream does not use much bandwidth. The new 3.0 os supports http streaming, thats public knowledge.

I'm more concerned over the section in the ATT toc about running servers. Its very grey, it seems to be more geared towards apps like slingplayer that "redirect" tv , but It can be interpreted in a lot of ways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.