Can someone check this Bluetooth adaptor

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Aravintht, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I have a 2009 Mac Pro - Octo 2.26

I've had a magic mouse for ages and everytime I start using it, I give up after a few days because of the stuttering (even though it is only about 1.5m from the tower). The mouse works fine on my MBP.

I've read on this forum and many others that the problem is that the antenna is on the bottom of the mac pro and that the cables are sometimes wired incorrectly on older MP.

Anyway, as im using a wired alu keyboard, I thought I'd buy a bluetooth dongle and sticking it in one of the USB ports, meaning the mouse would be about 20-40cm away at any time.

Can someone just confirm this would work with this adaptor

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NANO-USB-BLUE...K_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item41501d16a6

Thank you very much guys!!
    Maybe see some of you at the Covent Garden Store opening tomorrow!

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I don't know if that specific bluetooth adapter will work but I know that the Belkin mini adapters certainly do. I bought mine for about £7.50 about six months ago. Play have them with free delivery for £7.99.

You probably won't be able to use it in one of the USB ports of your keyboard though, it wouldn't work with me due to there not being enough power. It's fine when connected to my ACD or to the back of my machine. You may want to have a look at reconnecting the bluetooth wires. I'll see if I can drag out the instructions to do so for you.

Edit: Found it. I created this guide for adding bluetooth and wireless years ago. It includes the antenna connections required for Bluetooth to work properly: http://guides.macrumors.com/Adding_Bluetooth_and_Wireless_to_a_Mac_Pro.

Edit: Sorry just realised that you've got a 2009 Mac Pro so the bluetooth wiring doesn't apply. If you can drag it to an Apple store though they should be able to sort it out for you since I'm guessing it's still under warranty. Even if it's not, they should be able to sort it out for you since Bluetooth is a cheap part to install new anyway.

3. Aravintht thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi,

thanks for the info!

If I leave the side of the case open it is fine. I was reading up on it earlier and some people are getting new cases which have a different coating on them which allow the bluetooth signals to pass through ( free under warranty).

Also, using a USB adaptor apparently causes issues waking up from sleep, does the Belkin suffer from this?

I think i'm probably just going to drill a hole through a PCI blank and put an antenna on the back like this guy...

http://nobblynoel.wordpress.com/2010/04/25/mac-pro-2009-bluetooth-fix/

4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I don't know whether they cause sleep issues I'm afraid since I'm using a Hackintosh these days (still in the Mac Pro case though) and I never sleep my main computer since it has several drives shared on my network. I find it a little hard to believe that a coating on the case is what's causing the problems. I'd be surprised if they changed the way they coated the cases since the 2006 Mac Pros.

5. nobblynoel macrumors member

That guy is me....