Can someone check this out for me? Legitimate?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shaan, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Shaan macrumors member

Check Please

It is an eBay link to an iPhone 3G S 32GB that they are going to get on launch day and ship that day overnight.

The price seems reasonable considering it will cost me $699 to get it no-commit, no-contract.

If I buy this will I just get it and pop my iPhone 3G SIM in and plug into iTunes?

Thanks for all the help guys!

2. ubestbsteppin macrumors regular

3. Shaan thread starter macrumors member

It just says no-contract.

The way I see it is he is buying the phone at the no-commit, no-contract price from AT&T and reselling it, but why would he go through all that just to make $26?

Could someone clarify?

4. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

He could just be buying one to upgrade another line and then selling it - thus making more like $400. It's not tied to him yet, and AT&T doesn't care how you got it really once you activate it and put it on your contract as far as I know.

5. joro macrumors 68020

joro

It seems to me that he is buying these phones in the AM and shipping them FedEx or UPS with Saturday Delivery (the 20th). I don't see anywhere in the actual text where it says it's unlocked although it implies as such in the item specifics.

Accordingly, I would be cautious. Of course, the person is a power seller and does seem to have good feedback, but the opening bid is $699 with a BIN of $725 which is a lot of money to risk for an unknown result and/or product. I would much rather buy it from an AT&T or Apple store and go from there. But that's just me.

6. Shaan thread starter macrumors member

So if I buy this will I be able to just switch my SIM from my iPhone 3G to this eBay iPhone 3G S 32GB and use it the same as if I waited and bought a no-contract $699 iPhone 3G S 32GB? So I am basically paying a $26 premium to not wait in line and I have to wait one more day.

7. Shaan thread starter macrumors member

I am confident that if it isn't a legit iPhone or something else is wrong I trust eBay and PayPal to work it out so I can get it resolved. I just need to know if simply switching the SIMs will work and I don't need to have anything to do with AT&T? How will this work?

8. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Switching the sims will work fine. Or at least it should.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

We dont know yet.
    Just because it did before with the 3G it doesnt mean it will with 3.0 and the 3GS.

10. Shaan thread starter macrumors member

I am not doing anything wrong by buying the iPhone 3G S on eBay, it is completely legal and not against Apple or AT&T's terms of service, correct?

In that case, if I have any problems I can go to AT&T store and ask for help because it is a legitimate phone, still under warranty?

11. leons macrumors 6502

12. Shaan thread starter macrumors member

Sounds good, I think I am going to go ahead and order this. I will tell you guys how it works out, still kinda sad I won't be able to share launch day with you guys though :)

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can always open up a legit account with AT&T with it.

14. Shaan thread starter macrumors member

What to do you mean?

I just want to use this with my current FamilyTalk plan by moving my SIM?
    I definitely don't want to make a new account, will it work with my family plan?

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No doubt.

16. Lenxal macrumors regular

Why don't you just buy it from at&t or apple for 699?

17. Shaan thread starter macrumors member

Because there is a lot of confusion whether AT&T and Apple will even be selling them at the full price on the first day. To me $26 bucks is worth not taking the risk, Friday is also inconvenient for me to pick it up. I'm just going to miss all the excitement on Friday.

Just finished the order and checked out on PayPal, let's hope it is legit and I don't run into any problems.

18. bigchief macrumors 6502a

Really! Why not?

19. joro macrumors 68020

joro

While $26 bucks isn't much, imagine if this isn't legitimate and you loose ALL your money? While unlikely to lose it completely, the claims process through Paypal and/or eBay isn't fun and takes a few weeks. All the while you may have been able to get it at launch or a few days later if you would have gone with Apple or AT&T. Not worth the risk to me...

20. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Couldn't agree more.