Can someone clarify AppleCare on semi-new computers?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by James.K.Polk, Jun 11, 2017.

1. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

I've owned my computer ~75 days. Right after the announcement, I contacted Apple as I was confused as to whether those of us in the >60 but <365 window were locked out. They gave me an 'exception' (edit: for AppleCare+) with a weblink to purchase, which expires today.

Financially, I'd appreciate if I could wait a few weeks/months and buy AC when I'm ready (i.e. within the 1 year period, rather than rushing it this weekend).

Does anyone who has a more-than-60 day, less-than-365 day old computer know what our warranty options are? Beyond that, is AC even worth it anymore? I don't know how Apple's repair pricing necessarily works.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

From what I've just now read (right this moment) on Apple's website you still have the full 1 year's warranty's time to purchase Apple Care.

What announcement did I miss?

3. killawat macrumors 65816

Buy one on B&H or Adorama before their SKUs change. I bought this exact one two weeks ago (was cheaper with a 30 dollar rebate) for the 2016 MBP.

Apple AppleCare 3 Year Extended Protection Plan for 15" / 17" MacBook Pro
    SKU: ACMD012LLA MFR: MD012LL/A
    https://www.adorama.com/acmd012lla.html?sdtid=9889004&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

Several people are saying that the none "plus" version of AppleCare is no longer available on Apple's website, kinda how it is for iPhones. Only the AppleCare+ version exists.

Of course you can only buy AppleCare+ for any device within the first 60 days of ownership and not grandfathering in those who should have been able to buy AppleCare before the first year.

Apple is gonna catch a lot of people off guard with this one. Saving up to purchase AppleCare on the last day is like, just what we did. "Nah man, save your $300, you have up to a year to do it!". No longer.

4. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can you link to that?

I'm looking at AppleCare+ for Mac, which says "Add it to your bag during the checkout process when you purchase your new Mac [...] Or buy it within 60 days of your Mac purchase" [https://www.apple.com/shop/product/S6032LL/A/applecare-plus-for-15-inch-macbook-pro]

AppleCare+ was (silently, I think) released at WWDC.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 11, 2017 ---
    If you buy it from a third-party, there's no way Apple can not activate it upon purchase? I don't want to be caught in the twilight zone where I can't return it to BH but also can't activate it via Apple.

5. killawat macrumors 65816

I really don't think this will be an issue for it but you're right, no guarantees. I would buy on a credit card just to make sure. BandH is an authorized reseller and pretty good CS so I expect that they would take them down if they knew that the customer wouldn't be able to activate them. That or a chargeback.

The way I read all this is that Apple themselves will no longer offer non+ agreements but third parties will be able to sell out their stocks of the old agreement. Like I said earlier, I activated the MD012LL/A SKU successfully.

6. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome - thanks. This makes sense based on what I can find on the website & have heard from Apple reps. It's just unfortunate they've removed the student discount.

7. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Just purchased standard AppleCare for $249. I'd actually rather have that than AC+ for $379, because my MBP doesn't leave the house. My first two MBP's survived my college days without AC at all, so I'm not too concerned about accidental damage at this point. More concerned with future faulty components than anything. My first MBP had an 8600GT and the second had a 6750M, both of which Apple had extended replacement programs for, as they tended to die in later years.

8. doublesupercool macrumors newbie

Just looking at this. Just bought a refurbed 2015 and it VERY CLEARLY states on the Japanese support page that I have one year in which to purchase an Apple Care Agreement, however, when I got to check whats available, it just sends you in a loop of checking your serial number to see if you are eligible, no option to purchase “Apple Care”

The Japanese website store now ONLY has Apple Care+ available and in Japan, you only have 30days to buy, not 60. Frankly, I think this is utterly misleading. I am told on their official page I can buy Apple Care anytime within a year, but then they remove Apple Care and only offer Apple Care+ which must be bought effective immediately.

If I hadnt actively been looking today, I would have assumed I could buy it within the year, just like I did with my 2011 MBP

So it seems like the only option is to buy from a reseller, thanks for the heads up!

9. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

They told me at the store "You might as well wait and save your money, and just buy in 11 months." Obviously the retail employees had no idea, they weren't trying to mislead me, but... a really unfortunate policy change, IMO.

10. jerryk macrumors 68030

Sounds like the store employees are not aware of the change to AppleCare+. Poor training and/or communication of the change.