Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fekofe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
What I want to know is: how does aliases work in ios6? Is it possible to send mail from an alternate alias without showing my real name?

Example:

I write a mail and send it from my alias, mr. Fo Fo (fofofo@me.com). My real name is Fof Oh (fofoh@me.com). In ios5 the mail I send will show the name Fof Oh, though it'll be sent from fofofo@me.com.

Is this different in ios6?

muledogus

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2009
Just tested it and it comes from whatever name you put in the full name field when you create an alias (as it should). Are you setting up your aliases on icloud.com? There it's pretty clear and my test confirms it's correct. Also, you said you send it from the proper address but just make sure you confirm that in the "from" field in the message you're composing is set to your alias.

fekofe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
Just tested it and it comes from whatever name you put in the full name field when you create an alias (as it should). Are you setting up your aliases on icloud.com? There it's pretty clear and my test confirms it's correct. Also, you said you send it from the proper address but just make sure you confirm that in the "from" field in the message you're composing is set to your alias.

Yes, I'm setting up my aliases on icloud.com. It works with the proper name in Mail on mountain lion, and also directly from icloud.com. But for some reason I can't get it to work in ios5.

Glad to hear it works in ios6 though. Anyone else that would like to confirm muledogus's story?

tejaykay

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Edinburgh
Can anyone please confirm how to remove the old @mac.com address showing up from your iCloud account?

It took me a long time to stop this address appearing in the Mail apps on my iPad and iPhone in iOS 5. Since upgrading to 6 on both devices, lo and behold they're back! I had heard you can manage aliases within iOS 6 - is this correct?

I want to remove the @mac.com moniker as it is no longer in use and I know that I'll accidentally end up using it if it's available, which will only confuse my recipients. I remember that last time I had to delete and setup my iCloud account multiple times, trying to 'force' the server to only recognise my @me.com address - not a solution by any means. I also don't believe you can turn off the @mac.com address from the iCloud website.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

tejaykay

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Edinburgh
Can anyone please confirm how to remove the old @mac.com address showing up from your iCloud account?

It took me a long time to stop this address appearing in the Mail apps on my iPad and iPhone in iOS 5. Since upgrading to 6 on both devices, lo and behold they're back! I had heard you can manage aliases within iOS 6 - is this correct?

I want to remove the @mac.com moniker as it is no longer in use and I know that I'll accidentally end up using it if it's available, which will only confuse my recipients. I remember that last time I had to delete and setup my iCloud account multiple times, trying to 'force' the server to only recognise my @me.com address - not a solution by any means. I also don't believe you can turn off the @mac.com address from the iCloud website.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Just found the setting. It's in the advanced iCloud options buried in the Settings app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.