Can someone create a couple simple apps? Toggle Off/On 3G and WiFi

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by SiskoKid, Jul 15, 2008.

1. SiskoKid macrumors 6502

I'm not a programmer so I don't know what to do if I downloaded the SDK. I'm just looking for someone to make a couple of free apps in the vein of the other simple and free apps. They'd be two separate programs, otherwise it would defeat the purpose.

Essentially, it's just an icon on the home screen for 3G. When you tap it, it toggles your phone's 3G off. If possible, the icon of the app would change to reflect this. Obviously, if tapped again, it would turn 3G on. A separate program that toggles WiFi on/off would do the exact same thing.

Is this possible? if so, can someone make it? I know I can just change all this in settings, but I swap this stuff out often through out the day as I'm around town that it'd be nice to just tap an icon to turn off/on 3G and WiFi!

2. Ryanhdd macrumors regular

3. admanimal macrumors 68040

It is not possible for a 3rd party app to change these settings.

4. severe macrumors 6502a

It's been done. I had it installed on my original jailbroken iPhone. It was great for quickly toggling Wi-Fi on and off. I was just preparing to request an update on this application.

An application like the original that would include the 3G option is much needed, considering how inconvenient it is to turn 3G on and off on the new iPhone.

Maybe the new application could have a pop-up screen that gave us a choice to enable or disable one of the two options.

WifiToggle

5. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

It's still not possible for a 3rd party app to change the settings.

A jailbroken app can do anything it likes but the SDK is *extremely* limited and you simply can't write an application that modifies the phone in any way.

6. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Yes, it's been done on a JAILBROKEN device.

Apple's Official SDK prohibits all changes to system preferences within an application's sand-boxed environment. :rolleyes:

Basically, an application can only access it's own resources and existing iPhone OS API's.
    It cannot be used to change or adjust built in system root processes. These include Wifi, 3G and Location Services.

R-Fly

7. err404 macrumors 68020

I had hoped that the App Store would have replaced my need for JailBraking, but I may just have to do both for a while.

Apple want to stop JailBraking, so I feel a lot of these "limitation" will be worked out as the dev community puts forward strong arguments for what addition functionality is needed.

8. ShaqFu macrumors member

that is what I need a toggle app.

Bluetooth/3G/Location/Wifi

I hate going through the setting app.

But probably won't happen.

9. SailorMike macrumors member

I second (or third or whatever) the motion. Going to the settings for 3G toggle is a pain in the...

10. severe macrumors 6502a

Noted, thanks.

Agreed.. this is a big one, huh?

11. DaneGuy macrumors 6502

12. londondude macrumors regular

I tried to make this but i am a beginner and now find out it is not even possible. hope something can be done to make this app.

13. The General macrumors 601

Tomorrow Pwnage will be released and a flood of actually useful apps like this will be released.

Oh, and background processes too. :rolleyes:

14. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Then Apple will come along and release iPhone 2.0.1, which will break 'Pwnage', again.

Are you people seriously going to 're-pwn' your phones every time Apple push an update?

It's not worth it in my view.

2.0 brings functionality to the iPhone like never before, and with the security and stability needed.
    Ok sure - there are things missing - there always will be.

The SDK regulations are there for a reason. Whether it be for battery consumption, bandwidth hog, adult content, or other reasons,
    Apple won't allow certain applications or services because they pose risk to other applications and services.

The App Store is young. I suggest sitting back, waiting and watching, as it grows into the central hub which houses everything you need, for iPhone.

If you want something the SDK can't provide, sure, 'Pwn' your phone, but you'll be in for a tedious ride.

R-Fly

15. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

It's not like you HAVE to update until the new firmware is pwn'd. I'm sure 2.0.1 won't add anything that's sooo great that it makes it worth losing your jailbreak until a new jailbreak is ready.

16. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

To each his own, I probably wont jailbreak my phone but if Apple does allow apps like the ones mentioned in this thread it would be very tempting to do so. It takes to long to turn Location/3G/WiFi/BT on and off.

17. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

when the jailbreak for the 3g iphoen becomes available i for one will be going for it, i miss fring and its possible to virginise (or whatever its reffered to as) so apple know no different if need to take in for repair.

i miss fring :(

18. severe macrumors 6502a

You mean the way many of us have been doing it for roughly a year?

Yea.. seriously. I am. The five minutes it takes doesn't really set me back much and seems very much worth it in my view.

19. jchung macrumors newbie

You know... I'd even settle for an app that just takes me directly to the "Settings -> General -> Networks" page. then I can just toggle 3G. That would make it a 2 step process instead of a 4 step process.

I could even make it one of the 4 buttons at the bottom.

20. infowarfare macrumors 6502

Wow! So you guys will go through the time and effort to Jailbreak your iPhones (and re-jailbreak if necessary) but you are too lazy to simply go into "Settings" to toggle 3G/WiFi occasionally!? :eek:

Just... wow.

:rolleyes:

21. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The idea makes perfect sense. I've had the same one since the new iphone came out, as 4 radios have to be the biggest battery users in it.

Apple won't let 3rd party developers do it. If everyone who wants it lets Apple know, maybe they'll release their own version. Send them an email.

4D

22. SlapMonkey macrumors regular

They did, it's called the Settings app.

;)

23. And5555 macrumors member

a. It's not that much effort to jailbreak.
    b. If you have to turn these settings on and off several times a day, it gets kind of annoying. 3G reception sucks where I work (even though I'm in the heart of dark blue coverage). If I keep 3G on, it will DRAIN my battery because it keeps trying to reconnect on 3G and cannot.
    c. The platform needs to continuously grow. Your mentality of, "you guys are just lazy", discourages improvements that should be made to the environment. Note, even a cheapo phone has settings to create shortcuts for things like this. For instance, my Sony Ericcson had a few buttons on the "home screen" that were configurable. The iPhone really is below the curve on this one, especially for a "smart" phone.

Here's what would be great: You have an app that sits on the home screen that when you pull it up, it will switch the items to the inverse of what they're currently at and then immediately close itself - one touch Wifi on, 3G off, or if I'm going to lunch from work, one touch Wifi off, 3G on.

24. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

i didn't take the time to read through all the posts in this thread, but it seems like you're jailbroken.

if that's the case, just install bossprefs. it has toggles on the main page for all that stuff.

25. St. Germain macrumors 6502

I would absolutely love an app that let me turn Wifi on/off from the homescreen.