Can someone diagnose my Macbook screen problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by awmlewis, Sep 2, 2012.

  1. awmlewis macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2012
    #1
    Hi, i have recently ben having a problem with my Mid 2009 macbook pro's screen but i dont know what it is. I have attached two pictures which hopefully show the problem.

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Basically there is a small section at the right hand side of the screen which keeps going funny. However if left alone after a while it will return to normal, or even if i press lightly the screen it becomes normal. When i take a screenshot the whole display looks fine so i dont know what the problem is!

    please tell me what it could be, or how much it would be to fix it.

    Thanks!
     
  2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

    Dark Void

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2011
    Location:
    Cimmerian End
    #2
    The pictures do not show up, try re-uploading them directly from your hard drive as file attachments.
     
  3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

    T5BRICK

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    Location:
    Oregon
    #4
    GPU issues or bad VRAM. Is it a 13" MacBook Pro?
     
  4. awmlewis, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012

    awmlewis thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2012
    #5
    Yeah its a mid 2009 13" 2.26GHZ Macbook Pro.
    And sorry, here are the pictures again!

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  5. simsaladimbamba

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Location:
    located
    #6
    Have you tried a PRAM reset yet?

    For images wider than 800 pixel, please use the TIMG tags instead of the IMG tags by just adding a T in front of the [IMG] and closing [/IMG] tag, like [img] and [/img] to prevent horizontal scrolling.
    You can use the [​IMG] to edit your post and add the Ts.
     
  6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

    T5BRICK

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    Location:
    Oregon
    #7
    Have you upgraded anything recently? That looks a lot like a VRAM issue. 13" models share the system RAM with the graphics card.
     
  7. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

    l.a.rossmann

    Joined:
    May 15, 2009
    Location:
    Brooklyn
    #8
    99% chance bad LCD screen, 1% chance bad GPU. Find yourself an LP133WX3-TLA5 or LTN133AT09 and replace it. Around $55-$90 from reputable vendors. Since you say it goes away when you mess with it, I'd throw away the 1% chance of it being a bad GPU.
     
  8. awmlewis thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2012
    #9
    T5BRICK- I havent upgraded anything recently, i did upgrade my RAM a while back, but that was about 8 months ago and it had been working fine until about a week ago!

    I've just reset my PRAM and VRAM and it hasnt solved the issue. I'm guessing it's an LCD issue, so im going to take it to the apple store tomorrow to see how much it would cost to repair. Im not sure if i trust myself to repair the screen since it's a unibody and looks complicated!
     
  9. Dark Void macrumors 68030

    Dark Void

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2011
    Location:
    Cimmerian End
    #10
    Are you still under the original 1 yr warranty or Apple Care? If not they are probably going to quote you a very expensive repair price and you may be better off replacing the screen on your own as another user had suggested.
     
  10. awmlewis thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2012
    #11
    I may still be under my Apple Care plan i think, i got a 3 year plan with my educational discount. however, i have upgraded the RAM myself, so surely this would have voided my warranty?
    Anyone know how easy it is to replace the screen?
     
  11. sharkman macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2012
    Location:
    Ann Arbor, MI
    #12
    I don't believe upgrading the ram voids apple care iirc.
     
  12. awmlewis thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2012
    #13
    Well hopefully i'l find out tomorrow! i shall take it in and let you guys know!

    Oh and thanks to everyone for there help so far!
     
  13. Blackberryroid macrumors 6502a

    Blackberryroid

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2012
    Location:
    /private/var/vm/
    #14
    That sounds like my broken LCD. It returns to normal when pressed.

    Get it replaced. Only $600 at the Apple Store.
     
  14. Dark Void macrumors 68030

    Dark Void

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2011
    Location:
    Cimmerian End
    #15
    Upgrading your RAM does not void your warranty, but I believe that it would be to your benefit to have all of the original parts installed into your laptop for when you take it in.
     

Share This Page