Can someone diagnose my MBP's problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SephirothXR, Sep 2, 2012.

1. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

Symptoms: It will suddenly freeze on me, whether I do simple tasks or have multiple things going on at the same time. At this point I HAVE to manually restart it via the power button since the screen is completely frozen. Other times the computer just acts very slowly (this has all happened maybe 5 times in the past 2 weeks). Yesterday, it froze on me 2 consecutive times, and as it restarted and was at the "Apple" logo with the icon that goes round and round below the logo, the logo froze and it never went to the screen where I enter my password.

It kept reaching that point repeatedly, and after a good nights sleep it got past that point. What does this all mean? I'm assuming some sort of harddrive problem, but do these symptoms signify that I need a new harddrive eventually, or that I can clean up my harddrive or even there's maybe a virus on my MBP?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

My very first guess is bad RAM, but it could be a lot of things. When asking for help, please provide as much information as possible.

What model and year of MBP?

Have you upgraded any parts?

What are you doing when it locks up? Are there any patterns?

Some Macs come with a built in hardware test used to troubleshoot and diagnose problems. Sometimes the hardware test is on one of the discs that came with the computer. When you run it, enable the extended test and looping.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

3. JacaByte macrumors 6502

Sounds like bad RAM to me. A HDD failure will make the computer beach ball if it needs to do anything requiring the HDD IIRC. RAM failure will typically freeze computers. Be sure to run an Apple hardware test.