Can someone do or has new 17" MBP Unibody HDD Install video?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amitdoc2b, Feb 21, 2009.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

Can someone do a video or show me a link to a video that has them removing and installing the hard-drive in the new 17" MBP unibody?

I have never installed or opened up a laptop in my life, so it will be more comforting to see a video and follow it step-by-step rather than just reading on how to do it.

I really appreciate it.

PS- I already bought all the tools on iFixit but they don't have a video of how to do this, they just showed some pics of opening up the 17" unibody MBP.

2. markiez macrumors newbie

OWC Videos

There are a whole bunch of videos at OWC (Other World Computing) that may be helpful.

http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/installation.cfm

They don't list the 17" MPB unibody specifically but I'm guessing the 17" and 15" MBP are the same on the inside. They look very similar on the outside. I guess there's only one way to find out. Open the lid and have a quick peek inside.

Hopefully this helps.

3. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm afraid to open it up without the exact video. If there is even one small thing different that I don't know how to put back then I will be in trouble! :-(

Plus I heard the screw sizes or something are different too, I just want something that can walk me thru it since its so expensive and I never done this before. If i knew what I was doing I would probably do what you're saying though..

I never even know what an HDD looked like till I bought one from newegg this past month! LOL

4. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Also, I am sure someone has replaced or is going to replace the hard drive in their new 17" unibody. Can they make a quick video step by step of how they did it and post it on youtube? For those experts that I heard it only takes 5 mins to do, can you do it real quick and show me?

5. Shorties macrumors 6502a

If you are that unsure about it take it to a local apple authorized repair shop and have them install it for you, that way you wont void your warranty or break your computer. It will cost you about an hours worth of their time though depending on how much they charge.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Seriously, if you have doubts in your heart about opening up your own machine, then for god sakes, do not open it!! Instead, find someone who knows about Mac's, perhaps a authorised service engineer and pay for the labour involved.

7. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple won't do hard drives, only memory purchased from them.

8. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

The only people I can think of besides Apple are Geek Squad, but I bet they never seen a 17" unibody themselves so I don't want them to experiment with mine. Atleast I have videos to follow, they are just going by trial and error.

9. MAGICMOXTER macrumors regular

To be honest its so simple even a monkey could do it, theres almost nothing that can go wrong, and only a rather extra special person could break anything doing it, Apple even includes instructions how to do it:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/MacBook_Pro_17inch_Early2009.pdf
    Chapter 3 (Page 37)

Replacing the hard drive is the same in almost every laptop in the world, the only difference with the 17" MBP is a few extra screws. If you dont want to do it, or dont want to pay for it to be done, then get a friend who knows how to undo 10 screws and pull a plastic tab to do it for you.

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

There are some service centres out there, they ain't part of Apple but they're authorized to work with Macs, repair and upgrade them. You just have to pay them. Alternatively, get some balls and do it yourself! Apple's DIY/technical manuals are designed so monkeys can follow them.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just remove the back plate by removing all the screws and noting their locations; further instructions should be on that cover.

12. detz macrumors 65816

It's dead simple, it took me only a few minutes, the hardest part is unscrewing the eight screws.

13. Shorties macrumors 6502a

I didnt say an apple store, most local apple repair shops will do it for you at the cost of labor (And parts if you are buying the HD from them)

14. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Cannot be near as hard as replacing the hard drive in my iBook. I had to remove the top and bottom case 3 metal shields and keyboard AirPort card and the DC in board

15. MAGICMOXTER macrumors regular

Thats not true, if you book a Genius appointment and your computer is still under Warranty/Applecare then Apple will replace a hard drive if you take it with you.

16. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

I spoke to Apple specifically on the phone and they said no. I guess it depends who you talk to? However, many on this thread are saying its really easy.. so I will give it a shot and let you know how it turns out!