Can someone enlighten me on processors?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MrJay23, Aug 21, 2015.

1. MrJay23 macrumors member

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro 13 with a 2.4 GHz i2 Processor that's on its last legs.

I'm looking into buying a Mac Mini.

The base model is 500 with a 1.4 GHz with an i5 Processor.

I've heard that the base isn't that great, is it an upgrade from my current Mac even with lower GHz levels?

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Yes it will be an upgrade. Remember the processor in your old Mac is several generations older and slower than a current one. So an old 1.4 GHz would be slower than a current one. An i5 processor is fine for everyday use. What you are planning to use the Mac for is probably the most important question when upgrading to a new machine.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Your 2009 has a 2.4ghz core 2 duo processor, this processor whilst a powerhouse by some standards has a max clock of 2.4ghz.

The mini's 1.4ghz core i5 which can turbo to 2.7ghz. If you can afford the upgrade to a fusion drive or add an ssd at a later date this machine will walk I've your existing system in every way.

4. MrJay23 thread starter macrumors member

For the most part, just general browsing.

But I'm also going through myCPA Review with the Rogers course, which is all video. So I'll have the browser open with video playing and then Word open as well as maybe light streaming all the same time.

Do you think it'd be able to handle that?

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It will be sitting idle half the time! I assure you it'll be fine.

6. barbu macrumors regular

barbu

It will be able to handle your tasks. For comparison, on my MBA 11 which has a similar chip (1.7 i5 / 4 GB), i simultaneously run several apps such as Safari (with a bunch of tabs), Mail, OneNote, the Terminal, Messages, BusyCal, Activity Monitor, and iTunes while also running one or two other full operating systems in VmWare. The little Macbook doesn't miss a beat (although the battery winds down pretty quick!). So that's multiple programs and three full OSes running on the cheapest Macbook from three years ago. I think you'll be OK with a brand new mini!

7. MrJay23 thread starter macrumors member

Nice, thanks a lot man! So you don't think an upgrade to the 700 version isn't necessary?

Is there anyway to get an SSD into the 500 dollar model?

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You'd be wasting money for what you need.

Once the machine is setup and indexing has finished it'll run nicely.

As for the ssd yes it's easy enough to do if you follow ifixit's guide.

9. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

No worries at all. Go for it.

10. MrJay23 thread starter macrumors member

Awesome! THanks for all the input!