Can someone explain APPS to me??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lindsayanng, May 5, 2008.

1. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

this might sound like the stupidest question ever asked here.. but i dont get the APPS.. I mean, i looked through them on the apple website, and its all good and great, but they arent actually applications that you download to your phone right?? they are just websites that work really well with your iphone correct??

I mean, i would LOVE to have an application that works like the calculator on the phone, but it calculates gas mileage. I SAW a gas mileage app, but its just a website that calculates it for you, notsomething that sits in the home tray that you can use without accessing the net.. Or am i wrong, did i miss somewhere where i could download that..

so are there ANY program type things that you can download to your phone and use it like software..

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

In June you'll be able to get full blown apps (some free, some not) with the iPhone 2.0 update

For now you can Jailbreak your phone with Pwnage Tool or iLiberty.

3. jontucker macrumors 6502

Hi.

Maybe you should try reading up a little before posting. Since I'm typing though I'll tell you....

At the moment those apps are only web apps. You have to be online to use them.

You can jailbreak your phone and install 3rd party apps. But Apple don't like that.

In a months time version 2 of the software will be released and then you will be able to install licensed 3rd party apps that developers have created using the developer kit that was released a little while ago.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

5. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

ok well thanks for answering my question.. i was just confused because the iphone i used was a friend of my sisters and he had all these REAL apps on his phone, so when i went to the apple store, i saw the apps section and was like WOW look at all this stuff, but i didnt realize they were JUST websites.. I did read, but i thought maybe SOME were strictly web based and others were real programs because of the iphone i played with.. i guess he had some hacked stuff on there.. i didnt know..

Anyways.. i do know that when i talked to someone at apple about instant messaging options, she said DEFINITELY in the summer there will be an appliaction that you can download and use ichat on your phone without using the internet websites... cool huh??

6. jontucker macrumors 6502

7. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

oh well EXCUSE ME!!! i just thought i would share because i read a thread on the apps section and it was asking about IMs/iChat on the phone.. wasnt sure if it was announced or what.. well, DUH this place is macrumors.. you guys analyze what big wigs talk about in conferences and from that you know what the next new thing is going to be

anyways, i am pretty psyched about that.. now all i want out of my iphone is real MMS messaging and i will be MORE than happy..

i held out to buy one hoping that MARCH would be the month that the newest model would come out.. when that didnt happen, i waiting till now and ordered mine just a few weeks ago because well, i NEEDED to cancel my verizon service so i dont get charged up the jing jang