Can someone explain domain name prices to me?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by torndownunit, Mar 21, 2009.

1. torndownunit macrumors regular

I am just curious why there are such varying prices on domain names? How can one place offer them for $1.99 a year, and another $10 a year and so on?

I had always thought they were a pretty standard price with the exception of places that throw in a deal because you are buying a hosting package through them.

2. trule macrumors 6502

3. torndownunit thread starter macrumors regular

You don't have to be rude about it. I did a Google search and just got a million hits for people selling domains.

This is a 'forum' and people will ask questions on it. Am I just not allowed to ask any?

4. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Your question was fair, you are allowed, and although I've been known to tell people that using Google is easier than posting here for some basic objective tech questions, this is not one of those situations as opinion comes into play.

The direct answer to your question is that cost is directly proportional to features and services offered by the registrar. The extra expense might involve, for example, the ability to lock the domain, hide certain contact information, a better web based GUI for managing the domain, integrated webhosting setup, and maybe the most important feature - customer service. The less expensive ones often offer webhosting services, but might also be less reliable or integrate advertising into the site. But some registrars who are less expensive earned the consumer the discount by volume sales - meaning they have more customers and can charge less and still profit. The advice is always to compare features, not just cost, by visiting a few of the $1.99 registrars and a few of the $10.99 registrars and see what services vary. You'll also notice different web GUI's and probably one will stick it in your mind as "this is perfect for my needs".

Hope this helps you, and thank you for posting on MacRumors Forum and please feel welcomed and continue to do so. Cheers. :)

-jim

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

There's a few factors that seem to come into play from what I've seen.
    • One of the biggest is what the seller ties to the domain name, such as if you get hosting with them as well.
    • Also, the time frame you want to register it for can contribute.
    • Some names become popular and that will increase there value, but generally you'll realize why there's a higher price in these cases.
    • It also seems the extension (e.g., .com, .net, .tv) makes a difference.
    • Location of the seller can contribute as well, similar in the way China can produce goods at a lower cost than the US even when the long distance shipping is taken into consideration.

6. torndownunit thread starter macrumors regular

It is pretty rare that I do that, and if I do I definitely don't think I ever word it like it was above. It's not the answer, but the 'tone' that I was taking exception to. And as mentioned, I just couldn't find the info I needed even with Google in this case or else I wouldn't be posting on here. I must have been using the wrong search terms.

Thanks for the replies guys.

The reason I needed to know, and in some detail is because I am always curious what to tell my clients. I only do some general work. I don't offer hosting. So when I explain hosting packages to them, they are always curious about the cost differences. Some of the stuff I can explain. The domain fees issue I just honestly had no clue about. One hosting company I use includes the domain in their hosting fees, and one doesn't. So explaining that to a client is tough.

Regarding the type of domain, when clients have bought a .ca name it seems to be a set fee. I don't see any 'deals' on them.

7. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

Depends if they are offering another service with it...I offer free domains for users who sign up for an annual web hosting service.

It costs me X amount of dollars though to register it...it's not free that's for sure.