can someone explain dual screening to me in mountain lion?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LeeM, Aug 11, 2012.

1. LeeM macrumors 6502a

if i plug my tv in to my macbook using an thunderbolt to hdmi cabe, i cant quite get it to do what i want. i want to be able to open a video, drag it across to my tv and full screen it. this works fine but then as soon as i move off the desktop on the macbook the tv also moves as well. i definitely dont have the diaply mirrored.
    can i not surf the internet on the laptop with a video on the tv? it worked fine on my old windows laptop :(

2. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

OSX sucks for multi displays.
    If you full screen an app, the second display pretty much becomes useless.

3. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Full screen is "less functional" in dual screen setup since Lion. It turns a second monitor into a gray wall. Not very happy with it. You just need to watch your video in a maximized window (not full screen). We are waiting for Apple to "fix" this but I doubt they will do soon.

4. LeeM thread starter macrumors 6502a

real shame, the only thing ive found that windows does better. i'll tolerate it for now its the only flaw ive come across in my daily use

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Use a third party media player like VLC. You can drag the window over to your HDTV, maximize the window and play it while working on your MB. However, if you switch Spaces, the HDTV will switch Spaces too.