Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
I read that homekit is suppose to be a feature of the OS where it allows you to interface with any hardware that is homekit compatible (as opposed to using many apps to control many things).

Ok all makes sense. But where is the homekit app?

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
There is no app. Developers use HomeKit and it has standard protocols and APIs.

If there are no apps. then whats the point? Hardware companies can build their own controlling apps anyway. What exactly does homekit do?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Apple could make an App but I believe that any developer could make an App that controls any HomeKit compatible devices. So standard APIs plus developer imagination will create controls and Apps we can't foresee at this time.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
If there are no apps. then whats the point? Hardware companies can build their own controlling apps anyway. What exactly does homekit do?

You would set up zones in your house via settings i.e bedroom with these devices, living room with these devices, garage with these devices and so on. You most likely will be able to also set up timers, alarms, geofencing etc. for different zones.

If you want to manually do something it would be with Siri. Could be something simple like "Siri close my garage door" or something more complex like "Goodnight Siri" where it would than turn off your lights, lock your doors, close your garage, turn off your heater etc. Sounds pretty damn amazing and that's the point of home kit ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: aristobrat

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If you want to manually do something it would be with Siri.
x2 on Siri being the HomeKit "app".

It's pretty impressive what some folks are doing with Amazon's Echo (which listens for commands to be spoken) and home automation. I think that's where Apple wants to take Siri, in terms of HomeKit functionality.

Easttime

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2015
I thought that because HomeKit creates a standard, then all devices in the house that are HomeKit compliant can be controlled by a bridging type of third party app that a user can purchase and populate with the devices in their house? Still waiting for this space to mature a bit before I jump in though.

Last edited:

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
What I don't understand is with IOS 9 it is not supposed to require an AppleTV (3rd gen or higher) to enable HomeKit to work remotely because the devices are able to now. How does this work with older HomeKit devices that may not have this new support in their devices?

amjustice

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Naperville, IL
@yalag the main thing homekit allows is apps to control third party accessories. Some hardware manufacturers are supporting that in their apps and some are not. The idea though is that since HomeKit is a standard you can use one app to manage all your devices.

CrzyP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
What I don't understand is with IOS 9 it is not supposed to require an AppleTV (3rd gen or higher) to enable HomeKit to work remotely because the devices are able to now. How does this work with older HomeKit devices that may not have this new support in their devices?

According to Ecobee, their thermostat requires a software and hardware update to be compatible with iOS 9.

CrzyP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
Where did you hear this?

Mine works fine and I am using IOS 9.

I saw it in their FAQ a few months ago. It seems it has been removed. To be clear, I'm specifically referring to iOS 9 not needing an Apple TV bridge to control HomeKit devices via a cellular network. Their FAQ still states an Apple TV is required.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
I saw it in their FAQ a few months ago. It seems it has been removed. To be clear, I'm specifically referring to iOS 9 not needing an Apple TV bridge to control HomeKit devices via a cellular network. Their FAQ still states an Apple TV is required.
Ok, yes that would make sense. That goes back to my previous post wondering how this all will work.

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
I read that, it just doesn't make sense that there is no Apple homekit app. Because if there isn't, and you end up using 10000 apps to control 10000 things anyway, then whats the point?
There is an Official Apple HomeKit App.
It's call HMCatalog and free to download on Apples developer website.

amjustice

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Naperville, IL
There is an Official Apple HomeKit App.
It's call HMCatalog and free to download on Apples developer website.

Thats really just meant for developers as an example app, not really consumer facing. Time will tell if Apple will do their own but I think there are nice free and paid apps that provide support for all the HomeKit profiles.

ConnectSense (Free): https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/connectsense/id924559441
Home ($15): https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/home-smart-home-automation/id995994352?mt=8

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.